View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007   #40
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: SLS - mixed feelings

SLS, to me, is still local. They are 3 hours away, and just barely on the other side of the MN border. Maybe it's because I have lived other places where the closest Best Buy was 3 hours away, but to me, 3 hours for a place who makes beautiful manifolds, on a regular basis, for this specific car, is not that far away.

Now, as for the shops in the metro area, none of them advertise their own well built equal length DSM manifold, with a lifetime warantee. MAP advertises ones built by other shops, but for significantly more money then the pricing Nick at SLS gave me. Could our local metro shops make one? Sure they could. But it'd be more of a one off job, which in the end would probably cost me more money. While SLS makes these same ones regularly, has been making them for quite some time now, and sells them all over the country. It's not a one off item from them. They gave me a good price, and a lifetime warantee. I have full confidence in this manifold, and I think it will work very well. I would not have that same confidence if I had a manifold that was built by an outsourced shop, who probably has no knowledge of this specific car, and whom I've never heard of.

So, this is why I titled it "Mixed Feelings". I am extremely happy with my manifold purchase. I think I made a good choice there. But then I decided that since I was getting the manifold from them, that I might as well just get the wastegate at the same time. And that part of this order, well, it has been the 2nd worst transaction I've ever done with a DSM vendor (Taboo being the worst).
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 11-22-2007 at 12:47 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote