Thread: Teh Dizzevo
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009   #49
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: My Evo

Hit the rollers yesterday afternoon at DB Performance. With the first pull Shane knew right away something was up when it only mustered something like 238HP. He played around a bit and got it to 250-something but with the mods I have done it should still be more than that. We discussed things a bit and decided to do a boost leak test and take off the valve cover and look around.

Boost leak test was perfect. Took off the valve cover and all the rockers were in place, so we inspected the cams. I bought them used off of evolutionm.net from a reputable guy with a 900HP Evo that he delivers pizzas with and has been on the cover of Turbo magazine, didn't think anything of it, when I got them they said HKS and that was good enough for me. After installation my car didn't sound any different than stock. Thinking I had installed HKS 280s I was expecting a deep lope at idle. It kind of wanted to lope and did sometimes when it wasn't fully warmed up, but it wasn't consistent. Shane and I got the part numbers off the cams and looked them up online. Sure enough, the intake cam is definitely a 264. We weren't able to pinpoint the exhaust cam, so don't know what it is. Needless to say I was bummed.

Put the valve cover back on and did a compression test while we're at it. Came out with 160-170-160-135. Bummer. There have been people with valve issues so I'm hoping that's what the issue is and it isn't the rings. Put new plugs in, buttoned it all back up, added a little more boost and Shane played around some more.

Got it consistently to around 270 after a few more pulls and called it good. Here are the goods.

Black line was the initial pull.

AFR

Boost

Shootout mode (lame...)

I've sent a message already to the guy to try and get a refund or some sort of compensation, but I'm already looking for some different cams. I have a dyno day at MAP this Saturday and an autocross on Sunday then will need to do a leakdown test. Two more autocrosses before the season is over, then who knows what the winter will bring.

Big thanks again to Shane at DB Performance for going above and beyond. When people say he's the man they aren't lying.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.

Last edited by Matt D.; 10-01-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote