View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011   #27
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

One year drought ended yesterday for me killing deer.

=

Shot her as she was trotting away from me, got her diagonally from the back of her rib cage, up through the lungs and out the front ribcage on the other side, went through and shattered 9 ribs, foamy blood everywhere in/around her and lungs were pretty much gone when I gutted it. Shot in Isanti, MN

Got her about 6pm, we (Dad and I usually sit together) were watching 2 small does graze in the field each debating whether or not to take one. When we heard a bunch of shooting to the south, 2 more got spooked and came through the pines behind us from where the shooting was. This was one of the two. They weren't running, but moving at a pretty good pace, so I had to hurry up and launch one down range at one, I picked the biggest one. She was probably in the 140-160 range dressed, not huge, but a pretty good size doe. I dropped her with the first shot, but she then she got back up and ran a ways. I cracked one more off at her through one of the front windows of the stand and missed, knowing I hit her HARD with the first shot (saw a huge poof of dust fly off her and heard it hit pretty easily) and knowing she wouldn't be going far, I figured I might as well take one last mercy shot (My Mossberg 695 only holds 3 rounds) at one of the remaining 3 deer and shot out the other front window.

Dad took a poke at another one after I fired the first shot. It is INCREDIBLY hard to tell how big deer are when they are all stretched out running at full tilt (more on that later). He took a crack anyways, and dropped one at a dead run at 175 yards (verified with our range finder afterwards) with open sights on 870 express w/ a rifled slug barrel. Damn good shot IMHO! Dad's deer had 2 holes in it, so we can't tell if my 3rd shot hit it, or if 2 of his shots hit it. He shot 3 times. He hit the thing right through the damn back straps though When we went to go find them, his had died right where he shot it pretty much, not much to track.

So, off to tracking this thing. I haven't had to track a deer in years and years, my last 3 or 4 weren't able to take 1 step, they were dead where they stood. This bitch was only a lung shot and ran a small distance. So I run out to where she hit the ground and find this:

OK sweet, a good starting point. Followed that, drop here, drop there, about every 5-10 feet I'd find a few drops of blood on corn stalks, or turned up fresh dirt, tracks, etc. Followed that for probably 40-50 feet until I could see the direction she went into the trees at and then just walked right up to the tree line to look for more sign. Found a few more drops, walked in a ways and spotted this:

And just on the other side of that log I saw this:

Thank god she tripped on that log or she may have kept going for a quite a ways. By that mark she had made it about 30-40 yards into the trees from the opening I shot at her in. I dragged her ass out of the woods and went to go help dad, as I walked up on his deer, I just started laughing. His deer had probably outgrown its spots by about 6 months at the most, it was tiny! haha I kept giving him shit last night that he shot a German Shepherd. His was probably 75 lbs dressed. LMAO

Anyways, here is the father son combo right here, pretty cool we shot them at the same time while standing about 3 feet from each other. First time we have done that deer hunting. So, at the end of the night we had 2 deer, 1 cool story, and 2 windows to replace.

Mine of right, Dad's on left:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.

Last edited by goodhart; 11-06-2011 at 05:32 PM..
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote