View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013   #121
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Killed my first deer Tuesday evening! Zone 213 just south of 94, between Osakis and Alexandra.
I was on my Grandpa's land, just North of my uncle's land which I hunted the first 3 days.
This was a hunters choice area this year, so "if it's brown it's down" was in effect, minus horses, cows and dogs.
This is as I found her, about 50 yards from where she was when I took the shot.

I'm missing the standard issue picture of me, the deer and gun. I was hunting solo (all my cousins working like a normal week).
Met up with them an hour or so later and skinned her.

I'm happy say I took care of the tracking, dragging, field dressing and loading onto the 4 wheeler all on my own.

Took me about an hour all said and done. First time for everything.

The hunt itself was kind of straight forward. About 2/3's of a mile south on my uncle's land it's was all about catching them between bedding
and feeding. Up on my Grandpa's land, I caught them on the soybean field and literally had my pick. 5 young doe (no spots, but not much older)
and 3 bigger. The biggest never got close enough to have a good shot at, the other two where very similar in size. I took the one close enough for
a good shot, about 40 yards from me, using a smooth bore shotgun with "rifled" slugs.

At this point she's cut up, in the freezer and ready to eat. Haven't told my mom yet so I' guessing she'll be surprised to find a deer head looking at her in the morning when she lets the dogs out.

Head in the freezer just for fun.

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 11-14-2013 at 03:11 AM..
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote