View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010   #36
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Magnus Motorsports

As Jakey noted earlier in this thread, I had my problems with Magnus, and I gave them a fair thread about it, as some of the issues were not all their fault, although most were. But what did go wrong on Magnus's end never should have happened.

Not that I'm trying to defend Magnus on this, but there are two different issues in this thread.

1. The out of the box problems are very disappointing, especially for the money these intakes cost. Never should happen that way and just a visual inspection before boxing it up would/should have caught it. I don't think they pressure test each one and I can't think of anybody else that does either. But that doesn't mean others don't, I just don't know of them. Either way, Magnus dropped the ball on this one.

2. On a SMIM, there is a constant flexing of the metal that over time can crack a weld. Boost somewhat "balloons" them up a little and vacuum pulls them inward. This is a problem when using flat sheeting in this type of application. If the plenum were a completely round tube, the stresses would be distributed evenly. Welds are by nature meant to handle straight pulling forces, but when flat sheets are welded at 45 deg, 90 deg or 120 deg angles, and those flat sheets flex due to boost/vacuum, this causing flexing at the weld, which over time will fail. So over time a weld will crack and/or blow under boost. It's just the nature of using sheet metal. The bigger the areas of the sheet metal, the more flexing there is. That's why they seem to crack closer to the #3 & #4 runner. If you want to avoid it completely, go with a cast piece. Downside to a cast piece is extra weight.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 02-07-2010 at 02:18 PM..
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote