View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010   #192
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo
Re: Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
LOL @ everyone claiming they have billion times more wear protection. Marketing hype at it's finest. The 3/4 ball wear tests mean nothing, it's a test that was designed for testing gear oil, not engine oil.

(sorry in advance for the goofy formatting, I bolded M1 numbers to make it a bit easier to read)

Mobil 1 10W-30 Amsoil XL 10W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC: 10.7 10.5
Viscosity, @ 40ºC: 65.3 63.6
Viscosity Index: 154 155
HTHS Viscosity: 3.26 3.2
Pour Point, ºC: -39 -40
Flash Point, ºC: 230 232

When you compare these actual technical specs (i.e. not laboratory tests paid for by Amsoil) you can see how nearly identical these oils are.
Going by these statistics you could claim a certain olive oil was "oh so similar" as well, even though I'm sure some terrible things would happen if you ran that for a second.

If Mobile 1 is so awesome, why do a large amount of reputible builders warn people to stay away from it? Using the "factory fill" excuse is old, Would you use an OEM swaybar over a Whiteline because it was on it from the factory? or would you go with a higher quality product?

Also, why does FP recommend a different oil for use in their turbos then the stock ones? Idk, different bearings. Higher load. The fact that a high performance part may require something different? I have non-oem bearings throughout my entire engine, and that coupled with my cars performance means that I almost have to use a heaver and higher quality oil. It's the same theory. I'm guessing if you call up PTE or Garrett, and ask them "M1 vs Amsoil XP or Dominator" the answer will be the same everytime.

Last edited by 311evo; 12-22-2010 at 05:24 PM..
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote