View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011   #23
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Drives: WW IX MR
Re: Carbone Lorraine RC5+ - Pictures & Review

So I bedded my brakes last night doing about 8 stops from anywhere between 80-100mph. The bitch still shudders as many said it would, and as I hoped it wouldn't. However, I knew the pads weren't a 100% fix. All along I wanted to try and see if they would work and was always going to buy new fresh rotors if they didn't. So that's my plan. I'll be shopping around for a front set of Centric Premium blanks.

With day light today, I was able to see that the rotors are now half light gray-ish/blue and half silver. After giving Jeff Ritter @ Essex Parts a call, he told me that it's normal to see that and it means that the pads need another bedding session. He mentioned that this will happen when you start putting heat into the pads and that over time the entire rotor face will turn this gray-ish/blue color. However, he also mentioned, as s1ngletracker mentioned above, that after getting that layer of pad on the rotor when racing, when you go back to driving normally on the street, the cold abrasive nature of the pads will scrub them clean again and they will look silver as they originally were.

With many people using these rotors on the track a good amount without much rotor wear noted at all, I feel these will be safe to use on a daily driven car. When I put the new rotors in, Justin and I will be applying Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant on the back plates and see if that helps the squeal. They have definitely been quieter today. We'll see how that goes as time progresses. I'll most likely be bleeding the brakes as well when the new rotors go in and will be using some ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Jalal