View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014   #44
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW
Re: Anyone interested in Cobra adapter brackets

I welcome all opinions! I'm also an engineer (however not a materials expert) and as I'm well acquainted with, you can manufacture anything, use just about any material, attain any tolerance, etc... but everything has a cost.

7075 will nearly triple the material costs, and more exotic alloys will be even more. I'd make and sell them for $120 for a set out of 7075 with current design.
If anyone has connections to get cheap 7075, that would be awesome!

I'm confident I can work something out with 6061-T6 but I need to run a few more simulations.

The struggle at the moment is that i'm not sure what type of temps this part will receive. I am designing this to sustain track/racing conditions. I'm sure it would be completely fine on the street with like a 4x safety factor. I'm currently running a simulation that peaks at about 400F. That cuts the yield strength by about 75%. I have measured race car temps that peak to 1200+F at the caliper, so this adapter could possibly be experiencing a lot of heat.

I think I might have a few made and get some running temp measurements at DCTC before committing to a big production run. I can make some extras for people, with the understanding that it is not yet proven.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 03-26-2014 at 12:38 PM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote