View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009   #46
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Cobra Brakes on a 1G

It'd be real nice if people added any info they had on Cobra brakes, as that is what I'm doing and this thread was supposed to be about. And hoping this might be useful for people in the future, give them a step by step how-to if they decide to do the same without irrelevant clutter.

Anyhow, I ordered up the last things I need, which were Rotors. I decided against Ebay rotors. I decided to just pick up some standard blank rotors from Napa. They are right around the corner if there is an issue with them, and Napa seems to have the best quality (in my opinion) of all the standard parts store chains out there. I'm sure some PowerSlots or whatever are better rotors, but in the end I figure I'll probably end up warping anything I get. These are cheap so when they warp and are to the point where they can't be resurfaced, they can be replaced cheap.

Anyhow, no need to defend my decision, this is what I decided on after thinking about it for a long time.

They are normally around $45/ea, but they price matched Autozone who sells Duralasts (which I heard bad stuff about) for 39.99/ea. So I got the pair from Napa for $85.38 after tax. They didn't have them and had to order them from the warehouse. Should be here tomorrow morning. So, as far as I can tell, I have purchased all the parts neccessary to do this swap.

Total cost so far is $548.25, and that is including all shipping/tax. Compare that to the Baer kit which is $859.99 + shipping/tax from the cheapest place I've found (MAP). What's tax at now, 6.7%? That would put the Baer kit at about $917.61. That's a total savings of approximately $369.36 for the cobra kit, which should perform somewhat similar to the Baer kit since they share a lot of the same parts.

And if your a thrifty mofo like me, it's all worth the time and research and searching around for good prices, when you end up with a decent amount of savings like that

I am unsure when I'll actually get around to installing this as my schedule is redonk. Not even sure if I'll have them in by MAP's event, but I hope I do.

I'll make sure to keep updating this with install instructions/pics as well so hopefully it'll be a handy tool for any other thrifty peeps like me wanting to do this in the future
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 06-17-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote