View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016   #126
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

I think I have a solid plan of what to accomplish with the car this winter. At best, I expect to have another couple weeks before the salt starts and I take the car off of the road.

Semi in order. I don't actually need to do any of this stuff over the winter, aside from make it able to pass NHRA tech so I can see what it runs.

Transmission

I'm going to go with a 4L80E, probably buying one built with how the car will eventually be and with a brake.

Rear Diff

It makes noise, probably needs a new ring/pinion and likely change out the TracLok for something else. It was from a junkyard. It works, it's just noise and feels like it has more lash than it should.

Carb

Convert the secondary to jets, then have it tuned by someone that knows what they're doing in the spring.

Electrical

Add a remote cutoff and battery box for NHRA tech. Also add a breaker near the battery.

Fuel system

Get rid of the rubber fuel line(which only runs from the mechanical pump to carb) and enclose the bottom of the fuel cell to make it NHRA legal.

Engine

SFI approved damper. The one on there now is probably the original one and has no timing marks.

The breathers leak onto the headers, I'll probably just buy one of the pan-evac kits to see if it works(I need the breathers anyway). I'll plumb the line to the collectors to my catch can.

Exhaust

Coat/wrap headers. Make the exhaust mount I meant to in the spring. Possibly add flex section.

I'd possibly like to add a wideband, too.

Brakes

Install the proportioning valve I already have. If you stand on the brakes hard enough, you can lock the rears first which is bad. Flush system with high-temp fluid.

The rear lock up is at least partially due to the current suspension setup, either way with the prop valve there will be adjustment for this.

Body

Buy/install replica 240z bumpers in fiberglass.

Make ducting for the radiator/trans cooler to improve cooling.

Replace the hatch seals, which I bought recently.

Weld my front diff mount to the car, instead of being bolted in as designed.-It currently uses the stock mounting points, which are nuts tacked to the trans tunnel. This was never designed to take the loads it does, if the bolts ever come loose there is a good chance it rip them right off the tunnel.

If I see one of the fiberglass/carbon cowl hoods for sale I'll probably buy it.

Suspension

I'm going to install camber plates so that can be adjusted directly instead of cheating it by changing track width.

I'll buy tie rods with an adjustable pickup point to correct for bump steer as well.

After all that I'll take it for a real alignment.

Interior
Seats-The stock ones are comfy to sit in for hours, but, have zero support for going around corners.

Harnesses-The stock belts are 42 years old, and attach with a single bolt at the C pillar. I really didn't mind harnesses in the Evo.

Roll bar-There are some 4 point ones on the market that are decent, this is mostly to attach the shoulder straps for a harness to.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote