View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011   #223
iroc_g

Drives: 97 GSX, 95 TSI, 04 Celica TRD
Re: SMIM Showdown! Lets figure this out once and for all!

I personally did not make the prototypes. However, after seeing what we did from all of this, we did design and make our own SMIM for my car. If memory serves, it flowed 463 cfm across the board, and a plenum size roughly around 4500cc's. It's been on for about two years now, and the only issue I had was a stripped bolt at the TB flange, because I apparently hemanned it on in a rush. I have also redesigned the entire NOS system, into a very clean rail style setup.

I wasn't happy enough with anything available on the market enough to buy one of them, although the newer style JMF race was close. We did find a somewhat simple solution to increase the flow to the down cylinders, and cure a good portion of the turbulence. However, we decided that making our own would be a good RnD project, as well as a learning expierience for me.

I would also be interested in looking further into the magnus cast pieces, although my initial impression is that it will have similar characteristics to there other designs. I was going to borrow one last year to test, but since we have now upgraded to a newer flow bench, I didn't want anybody to think the numbers were skewed, although we have used calibration tests to ensure the new one is within 1 cfm of the old. The newer bench also has much lower resolution, reading down to a hundredth of a cfm if desired!

I do believe I have all the materials still to make two more of the CNC SMIM's. I'd have to double check that, as well as pricing on one. If you or somebody else was truly interested, I could look into that.

The "Yet to be named" CNC SMIM:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 7 (Fully CNC'd Plenum)

Pic 8 (Runners)

Pic 9 (With NOS)
iroc_g is offline   Reply With Quote