Thread: E85?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007   #52
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: E85?

Pao,

There are a few things to consider when using E-85.
Pro's:
-Higher octane (R+M/2) of 101.6 for E-85 (averaged) versus 92.
-Cooler burning fuel (due to the alcohol content), this helps cooling of the combustion charge
-Availability/substadized pricing
-The higher octane allows you to manupulate timing values and the boost threshold compared to knock/crazy intake air temperatures.

Con's:
-Lower heating value. That means you need to burn more of E-85 compared to unleaded gasoline to get the same amount of work (energy) out of it. This lower heating value also shows up in gas mileage (usually not directly compared to the differences).
This also shows up in the massivly required fuel system. It is typical to require 30-40% more fuel to make sure you have "enough".
-possible corrosion. I have heard of case studies and examples where people have run year after year without issues using OEM fueling systems, but there is a reason the OE avoids alumimum on E-85 vehicles.
-Different stoic AFR. Tuning in Lambda versus AFR usually solves headaches.

Pretty much in a nutshell in order to run E-85 you need the fuel management and fuel flow capacity for roughly 40% more than you normally would need (it is always a good idea to error to the "to much fuel" side versus not having enough). You need proper engine management, and you need to pay attention to summer vs. winter blends (or use a tuner that knows the difference).

Welcome to Mitsustyle, and I guess you didn't get your email...I won't get your wastegate in until later this week.