View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007   #11
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Re: Unfair Insurance

I had my Talon totalled in 2002. I was broadsided at an intersection. They valued the car at $5800 (which was slightly higher than blue book) and they stopped the estimate at $6000.

If the insurance company is going to total a vehicle, you have the option to buy it back. The insurance company will then give you a buy back price (mine was $650). If you want to do that, then they will take the ACV-buy back- deductible and cut you a check for the remainder. Mine was $4900. Then you are responible for getting it repaired. They will only allow liability only insurance on it until you fix it and show it to them again. Then they will approve the repairs and put full coverage on it again. The advantage to doing this is that the title never changes hands so it never gets marked with a salvaged title. Mine was clean as was Terina's after her accident.

If you let the insurance company keep it and then buy it back from the bodyshop or auction, then it will have a salvaged or repairable title on it.

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But you do have to have a good insurance company that explains this to you. State Farm always explains every option to you before you make a decision. That's why I've stuck with them so long.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote