View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016   #82
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

Text only updates are lame.

I have a ton of hours into this wiring project.

Today I have nearly everything finished. I need to get a couple of connectors and hook up the engine stuff, which is all of 7 wires including the senders for gauges and the starter/alternator.

The lights all work, including my indicators on the dash. The high and low beams are noticeably brighter now that they run through a relay instead of the full current through the headlight switch itself. -Even running off of the battery that is just sort of rigged up.

It's satisfying to hear the relays trigger that I added when turning on the headlights, running lights, or clicking the key to start.

I've not yet tied in the reverse light or neutral safety switches as they are part of the new shifter which will be a project all on it's own. I left provisions in the wiring to make this easy.

The same goes for the hazard switch, which is also a simple tie in. The leads are there, just not hooked to anything right now.

The fuse/relay panel. Not yet attached, but, exactly where it will sit on the firewall in the passenger footwell in the space that the old A/C coil used to occupy.

It's not totally as clean as I wanted, but, the work involved to make all the runs exactly the same length just so the bend is the same for all of them simply isn't worth the time. I took those yesterday before I had everything connected.

This is how the wiring mess started, I hooked everything up with wire nuts and applied power to check everything out first. This was done without the relays.

I'm quite fond of the new look from behind with the new tires.

However, I 100% need to change out the studs in front, which I planned on doing anyway. Stock is M12x1.25, the rear is M12x1.5 which is much more common. When I pull the hubs again to swap the front rotors I'll take care of that, too.

The threads are only about half way into the generic short nuts I grabbed from the auto parts store.

Hopefully it's up and running tomorrow, which will be fun with no exhaust.

Oh, I still need to figure out the wiper thing. I have which lead does what from the switch figured out, but, that's as far as I got on that.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote