View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016   #91
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

I pulled a valve cover to see which heads it actually has, which are crap by today's standards.

I'll be curious to see if they were re-worked at all. The still are not heads that came with the block. The heads were made from '68-'73 and the block is from '79.

Assuming a stock deck height and flat top pistons, the heads on it give ~9.7:1 compression which is up a bit from where anything in 79 would have been.

The issue is just that they don't flow well. I'm guessing this was someone's attempt in the 70's to make power, going along with the 70's vintage Edelbrock intake manifold.

From digging around, even with a cam(which would require lifters, springs, and a different converter), intake, headers, and the carb/timing setup properly it probably wont make much over 300.

I ordered new front suspension parts, not all of which is actually needed, but, it saves me from having to go through and replace everything that is probably 40+ years old.

About a month from now I'll have to actually make the decision on if I do the LS swap or not this winter, which will probably involved going past the budget I set for myself for the car this winter.

Last edited by bramagedained; 02-02-2016 at 07:07 PM..
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote