View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016   #97
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

I had the carb back together yesterday. Now it has new gaskets needle/seats etc.

The diaphragm came today, but, the quick change housing for the thing wont be here until tomorrow.

I pulled the intake then the exhaust and head from one side of the motor.

There is still a faint cross hatch on the walls. There is no carbon ring at the top of any of the 4 exposed cylinders.

I know there was very little use between when the swap was done in 1990 and now just based on the overall condition of things and the tires that were on it when I bought the car. It would appear that in the 11 years between 1979 and the swap there wasn't a whole lot of use on the shortblock, either.

It has flat top pistons, which is good. There is only minimal carbon on top of the 4 that are exposed, which is also good.

Due to the 1979 date of the block there was some risk of it having dished pistons for mega-low compression.

With a thin head gasket and the 64cc chamber heads I'm going to get it will bump compression to about 10:1.

From digging through the past few years worth of relevant articles from Hot Rod/Super Chevy etc it should make enough power to be plenty fun for the summer.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote