View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010   #1
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Thinking about buying those cheap coilovers? Read this first.

When I bought my car a few years ago I immediately started autocrossing it. I figured in order to get it to handle the best I needed coilovers. I mean, who doesn't want coilovers, right? Not everyone can afford a $2000+ set of KWs and the like (I was eyeing Zzyzx at the time) so I opted to go cheap and picked up a set of Ksports from MAP. They seemed great at first, the car handled even better than it did in stock form, it really did feel like a gokart. Then I realized that if I softened the dampening knob away from full firm the car became very bouncy on the road as if they were blown, so I had to leave it at full firm constantly. Before too long the car started making all sort of noises in the front suspension, especially creaking when going over bumps. In the end the rough Minnesota roads took their toll on them and the front two were blown. Overall it seemed like a great investment at first for autocrossing, but the fact that the ride quality is so horrible on the street and there is little dampening adjustment in the mid range of the stroke (look at the shock dyno graphs) the whole idea of cheap coilovers was obviously a ridiculous one.

Since it was time to fix the suspension I chose to try out aftermarket springs on my stock struts. I was torn between the Swift Spec-R and GTWorx springs, but ended up getting the Swifts because I could get them locally, thanks again to MAP.

Once the Swift springs were installed I immediately realized that I no longer hated to drive my car on the street. They solved everything that annoyed me about driving on these terrible roads, and I was no longer embarrassed to have people in my car. The ride is firm, but comfortable. The suspension doesn't make stupid noises that it shouldn't. And so far from what I can tell is that the car doesn't handle any worse than the Ksports ever did. Mind you I haven't done anything more than rip around a few clover leafs on snow tires, but it feels just the same as the Ksports did. Though one thing I noticed is when going around curves at highway speeds if there are bumps that would normally upset the car with the Ksports, the Swifts just soaked up the bumps and the car stayed planted and didn't get nervous.

That being said, I am a firm believer that people should stay away from cheap coilovers. Save yourself some money and headaches and just buy a nice set of aftermarket springs. Cheap coilovers are nothing but trouble, but if you don't believe me you can search the internet about Ksports, Megans or what have you and find out yourself how terrible they are. Now, could things be different if I lived somewhere with nicer roads? Maybe, but that wouldn't change how cheap the coilovers are or how poorly they perform, the performance between the two is negligible. Just trying to do my part in helping people modify their cars properly and save themselves some trouble down the road.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote