View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014   #899
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: Big Brown's Automagic - The last episode in my DSM story.

7/3/14:

So I was all happy that my car doesn't make the horrendous sound, got the car on the ground was ready to drive it around thursday night (7/3) had talk of racing at grove creek the next day, well my oil pan decided it wanted to not be nice.
I had a friend stop by and I was letting the car warm up while I showed him around, came back outside to about a softball sized oil puddle.
Couldn't see what was in the way with the exhaust in the way and the T-case, so I took those off, found a gap between 2 bolts where it was leaking, tried to cheat and hammer it closed, well it would just squirt oil out every time I hit it.
So I pulled it off.

Well I don't usually stay up late, but it was nice to feel accomplished for having the car together when I said I would so I attempted to fix the oil leak coming from the timing belt side of the motor (Thanks Tyler? i think that was your name for posting this fix originally):

RTV'd that crap and left it overnight.

7/4/14:
No more oil leaks!!! yay!!
However I do have badly leaking pass side axle not sealing in the trans, the oil one did just fine.
Oh well, i went for a drive around the block and it got a bit worrying since it started running on 3 cylinders, just a plug wire having some fun.

I left the bumper off because I tried to install a quick release bumper kit and it certainly didn't fit like it should so yeah. I will have to revisit that sometime in the future.

Well I wanted to drive it to dinner, so I got it on using the front part of the quick release kit and using bolts in the fender locations, works really well actually.
Came back home and we had a bonfire, but I really wanted to wash the car quick because it hasn't in about 3 years.

It was terribly dirty, just spraying water on it, it would turn brown as it fell to the ground. I discovered that the hood is starting to grow surface rust on the paint from sitting too. oh well. I also learned that the car looks like a giant POS, between all the paint chips, dents, dings, scrapes, missing paint, spider cracking, missing body panels and of course the middle spoiler piece that makes it look like a bald old man.
All clean (you can see the unused Dzus fasteners on the bumper here):

Yes, while not that impressive the car had 0 shine to it prior to this. I did this in about 10 minutes before it got dark and I made my 1st s'mores ever.

7/5/14:
Feeling pretty confident about getting my car running, I picked up this:

It will be for sale once I get it cleaned up a bit, but its 100% stock and has sat since 2001.
Thanks Carl/Carltalon (Official DSM Tow man) and Phil/Quigs

Back on topic, so talking about the spoiler some more with Carl he told me that he welded a contraption to hold a spoiler on one of his old 1GA cars, now I knew what I was going to do, but I'm seriously not 100% in my ability to weld however my desire to not drive around POS looking car was more that my lack of confidence so I did this:

Some scrap metal i had for welding practice:

New mounting tabs:

How tabs will be placed in spoiler:

Finished tab 1:

Finished tab 2:

New mounting tabs installed:

Finished product, hopefully someone notices how clean it is:

here is a pic of how it has been for about 2-3 years:

Currently it's inside with no pass. side axle, I have the warrantied axle in my DD.
I'll throw it in tomorrow, then I will wire the cooling fans to a switch inside the car (temp.), wire up my color shift box, and wire up my vacuum pump. I'll be happy to get the axle in and have no leaks, all the others will be a bonus to be honest.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote