MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-09-2005   #1
top_projects05

smoke, smoke and more smoke!

Hey guys, I have a big problem with my 95 eclipse gst. It started smoking white smoke really bad from the exshaust a while ago, about 2 months ago. Since then i've replaced the headgasket and even the turbo and still it's smoking like crazy! I've read some forums already and some say it could be due to the vavle seals also... But then I want to ask you guys if you guys know of anything else i can do before going that far. I'm thinking replacing the vavle seals will cost a grip! I really don't have that much money.... can the smoke be due to leaks in the headers or down pipe? I don't think i tighten them enough maybe? What else can i do guys, help me out please. The other fourms didn't help me out much at all, I hope you guys can! Thanks.

95 eclipse gst

Last edited by top_projects05; 11-09-2005 at 04:51 PM..
top_projects05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: smoke, smoke and more smoke!

If it really is white smoke that should be coolant. Did you check your head when it was off to see if it is warped? That could be a possibility. The only ways coolant should get into the combustion chamber is past the head gasket or turbo. The only other possibility would be if there is a crack somewhere, TB or block are the 2 I can think of that would do it.

Do you have other symptoms of a blown HG? Does it lose any coolant?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #3
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

Start with the basics.

What do the spark plugs look like? Are they oil fouled? Do they have coolant on them? Does one look out of the ordinary? Are you losing coolant?

Narrow it down to coolant or oil and then you can chase down the causes.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #4
Jana
Mazda Bitch

top_projects05 - please follow the forum rules when posting. We are especially picky when it comes to tech posts. Please be sure to use your shift key once in a while to try and make a sentence. Also, when posting in tech, you need to include car info (read rules for further clarification).

*So if you can go back in and edit your post to include the car make and model and maybe clean it up a little that would be great.

*Post was left up due to relevance of car type not as important with description.

Last edited by AJ; 11-09-2005 at 03:36 PM..
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #5
top_projects05

Sorry about that!

But yeah, i'll check out your suggestions and get back to you guys! Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-09-2005   #6
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Does the car always smoke or only under certain circumstances?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #7
top_projects05

As soon as i turn on the engine it smokes really bad. I'm really thinking it's a crack in the motor or something because it smokes really heavy like it's drowning in whatever it is! Do you guys know if a compression test will help me tell whats wrong with it? I have a compression test but haven't used it yet.

But if it's going to cost a lot of money to fix the problem, i might just part off the car or something. It's not in the best condition anyways.
Old 11-10-2005   #8
npaulseth

How fast are you losing coolant?
Old 11-11-2005   #9
top_projects05

Okay this is what I mean when i say lots of smoke. I checked the spark plugs and all of them were dark with white tips. Cyclinder #4 had just some small amounts of a dark ticker liquid, It might be oil but i'm not sure. I also checked the coolant and found that there weren't much left, maybe just 1/2 a bottle or so. So i put some new ones in but I haven't rechecked it yet because the car's still hot from running. Let me know what you guys think. I'll be back later to post if l've lost lots of coolant yet or not. Thank you guys.
Old 11-11-2005   #10
93sc

Send a message via ICQ to 93sc

What does the smoke smell like? Have you checked your oil and what does that look like?

If it's coolant burning off it has almost a sickly sweet smell, whereas burned oil is kind of unmistakable. If your getting coolant into your oil it will look foamy and a dirty yellow color. If oil is getting into your coolant you will see the same thing, but in you radiator.
93sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #11
npaulseth

Have you ever gotten into boost when the engine is still cold?
Old 11-12-2005   #12
top_projects05

I checked and the oil look pretty regular... So does the coolant... But i guess should run the car every now and then first before i make any final conclusions. That will then tell me if there's any difference in the color/texture or if i'm losing any fluids at all. As soon as i can, i'll check the smell. And yes the car boosts fine when it's cold still. The car has actually been sitting for a month or two now and i've just started to turn it on more often after replacing the turbo. (I couldn't turn on the car then because the old turbo was really mess up. It had a lot of shaft play!) I actually though it was the problem but after replacing it, the turbo wasn't just the only problem.
Old 11-14-2005   #13
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar

Could it be possible the turbo you replaced the bad one with is also burning coolant?
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #14
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

Thats obviously coolent burning, and if its like instantly after you start it, Its probly coming from the engine, if it was the turbo it'd probly spray out coolant first then start to smoke. Has it been over heated? or ran really low on coolant? cause that can cause the head to warp. Judging by that smoke It wouldn't take long to loose most of your coolant...
Old 11-15-2005   #15
top_projects05

Well, today it rained/snowed so i couldn't do much. (It's suppost to snow a few inches by tonight sometime!!!!) I need to clean out my garage, it's full of junk! I turned on the car, ran it around the block and then let it sit there for 5 minutes. After running it, i checked the coolant and oil and they both still looked good. The coolant was still clear and full to the top and the oil still clear golden brown. I don't know how long i'm suppost to let the car run before I can tell there's a difference in fluids. I'll try running it a little everyday for a while to see if there's any changes. I don't want people around the block to call the cops for the smoke/smell coming from the car!

There were though, some milky white stuff on the bottom of the oil cap. I wasn't sure if it was just something from the cap or if it was the oil. I'll need to drain both the oil and the coolant to double check both of them.

I got the turbo from a good member on dsmtalk.com. He said it was from his 98 gsx with 20,000 miles on it. There were no shaft plays and it did look pretty new, inside and out.

The car has over heated before but that was a few years ago. I'm not sure if the coolant has ever ran really low before either. So you think the head might be warped?! That sucks. If the head was warpped, what is it you guys suggest me do then?!

Last edited by top_projects05; 11-15-2005 at 02:47 PM..
Old 11-15-2005   #16
JET
Is funding Exxon.

It does look to be a good possibility that the head is warped. It is also possible that you did the HG incorrectly and it popped again. Was it good at all after you did the HG? Did you retorque the head bolts? Did you reuse the old ones?

Old 11-16-2005   #17
top_projects05

Man, yeah, i'm guessing that just might be the problem again... I really hope so atleast! I didn't take it in for a shop to do my HG, just a few of my friends did it for me. I couldn't tell if the new HG worked ever because one of my tires were flat then and i found out the turbo was mess up. I didn't want to start the car with the mess up turbo and just left it sitting there til recently when i got the new turbo in. So yeah, how much do you guys think i'll cost to do a proper professional HG change?! I would think that would be the lowest cost and first thing to do, right?!
Old 11-17-2005   #18
JET
Is funding Exxon.

I would first yank the head off and look at things. Make sure you put every bolt and fastener seperated into a baggie (all intake bolts in one, turbo bolts in another, etc.) or a shop is gonna whoop yer ass. Then you can see if the HG was leaking and if so, get your head checked. If that isn't it, you should at least be able to track down the problem easily.

Old 11-22-2005   #19
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

How long have you run the car after the turbo swap? My buddies turbo went out, when we swapped it, it smoked like yours for a while and was fine. We let it run for probly 10-15 mins and the smoke started going away. Any reputable shop should be able to almost tell bolts by looking at them. I know I can tell most as long as they are all there. Expect a HG swap to run ya about $450-500 arter a new HG and maybe a few new gaskets.
Old 12-13-2005   #20
top_projects05

Man... so finally i get a day off to do something with my car. I took it in to a shop down the street and ask how much it'll be for a hg change and guess what he said!? It wasn't anything near $600 or so, he said it'll be $1500! My jaw dropped. That's to much for my wallet! So now i'm thinking i might just part out the car because it doesn't seem worth it to fix it up anymore. I'm tired of always having to fix something on that car. There's too much damage everywhere anyways! But if i do part it out soon, i'll let you guys know first. Thanks.

But about running the engine for a while, i've been running it every now and then for 10-15 minutes each and still the smoke hasn't gone. So yeah, it's got to be something internal.

Last edited by top_projects05; 12-13-2005 at 12:19 PM..