MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 11-23-2004   #1
EvilEvo
Evo Winter Tires

I am stuck on what to buy for winter tires. I am going to get either the Dunlop Graspic or the Blizzak WS-50. Both have crappy speed ratings but I will not pay over $200 more for an H rating. My question is, is there honestly a large difference in snow/ice traction between the two? Or is there any other tires I should look at for winter? They need to be 235/45/17 and I dont want to spend over $130 a tire. Thanks everyone!

Tim
Old 11-23-2004   #2
HondaKiller

I would recommend the Blizzaks, simply because I have experience with them, they are great winter tires.
And how fast do you intend to drive around this winter with a brand new Evo?
HondaKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #3
EvilEvo
It was brand new Not really anymore. Thats why I wont spend the extra cash on tires rated over 100. The only thing I wanted to know is if there is a difference between the two tires or is it just brand name kinda stuff. Doesn't anyone have experience on both blizzaks and a different brand?
Old 11-23-2004   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Hankook W300's are only $98 each at Discount Tire in your size and are V speed rated. I have no direct experience with Hankook tires, but supposedly they are decent. You could also consider going with a skinnier tire which would help with snow traction.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #5
EvilEvo
Thats what I've heard (About being skinnier) but I am also going to be driving these on the road I live in Madison which gets plowed pretty well I am sure (Never been here for a winter) so I just need something that will work if needed but also nice on dry road. I also plan to race it on a lake in the winter a few times (I know Im asking too much for $120 a piece tires). Ive never heard of Hankook btw... you personally know someone that used them or just hear-say?
Old 11-23-2004   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

DSMChick I know has some summer performance tires by Hankook, and all Kia's come with Hankooks from the factory. Ask Unreal what kind of experiences he had with Hankooks while working for Kia.
Old 11-23-2004   #7
EvilEvo
I dont think I could use the OEM Tires from a Kia on my car Something just doesnt right there.
Old 11-23-2004   #8
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Are'nt your factory evo tires all season? With all wheel drive having winter tires takes away all the fun, because then you have alot more traction.

I had all season continentals on my 1g awd for the past 3 years and winter driving was awesome, plenty of traction but also enough slippage for some parking lot fun. No more winters for it now
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #9
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD
I wouldnt worry about speed ratings. Any tire that is soft enough and has deep enough tread to make an excellent snow tire is going to be damn scary over 100mph. I found this out the hard way, getting hard on the brakes from 125mph I thought I was going to end up in a ditch.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #10
EvilEvo
They are as far away from all season tires you can get. Extremely sticky when warm but when cold (Even on a decently warm day) I can spin through first without trying too hard. When warm they are insane. But you can not use them in snow (Unless you dont want to ever stop)
Old 11-24-2004   #11
JDM
None

AMG Drift Competition Champion!
Drives: A car
Send a message via MSN to JDM
I'd ask Ryan (Mr Raced)... he just put snow tires on his evo for the winter. The tires he has he got slightly used from a place in MPLS. he didn't pay dick for em'... they were dirt cheap.
Old 11-24-2004   #12
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

EVO's even come with a warning label on the door saying to not drive the car in snow with the stock tires.
Old 11-24-2004   #13
A//// Guy

Thats great so for a $$30k+ car you dont even get good tires? Maybe good tires for dry and warm but it should be somewhat in the middle I would think...

So you have to spend another 400+ on good snow tires, nice.
Old 11-24-2004   #14
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD
The car was made for driving enthusiasts, and most driving enthusiasts wouldnt have it any other way.
I have switched, seen the light, and will never go back to all seasons.

Besides, in the end, it costs exactly the same. You still go through the same amount of rubber.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #15
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

You get great tires with the EVO, performance tires. Why would you want mediocre all-seasons on a supposed "super" car? I'd be pretty pissed if I spent $30k then had to go spend another $800 to get some tires capable of handling the car at its limit.
Old 11-24-2004   #16
EvilEvo
I would have been pissed if I got all-season tires as well. The stock tires are insane for grip while being warm. I didnt buy the car to road race on ice They work great for me... but I do drive the car in the winter so I will need something else for now.
Old 11-24-2004   #17
A//// Guy

To me a driving enthusiast is someone who likes driving and has fun in the twisties ect... not burning out or launching a car. That is why I guess Im saying your average buyer wont take the car to its limits. Hell most high horsepwer cars are driven by old people who dont go above the speed limit...(corvette, porsche, etc) they just buy it because they have the money.

Then again I would think they would have a second or winter car they would use instead so summer tires are a good thing.

Yea Im not against going for full performance tires for summer, and winter tires for the winter... I even have a nice set for warm.. but the average driver that buys any car is going to say why not put all seasons on.

Most all seasons suck, as you remember CVD your car sucked on those old tires you had. But then I gave you a ride in my car with my all seasons and you were surprised.

Get what I mean? btw I wouldnt call the evo a super car...
Old 11-24-2004   #18
520Talon

You must hang out with a different set of driver than I do. Even my non-enthousiast little sister uses winters, Once you go you'll never go back. I have a set of Graspics on a -1 rim size for the winter. 16 stock, 15 winter. I have many miles over 100mph on them and it is a little floatier of a ride. Reviews from the local Audi boys are good on the 300s and also don't forget the hakkas are about the same price as well. P.S. I like the graspics better than I liked my old blizzaks. The hold a four wheel drift much more controllably, the blizzacks wanted to let you rotate all the way around.
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #19
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

All Corvette's, Porsche's, S2k's, etc. come with summer-only hi-po tires so the EVO and STi are right on pace with everything else. I personally don't feel the EVO is a supercar, but a lot of people consider it that and Mitsu is taking full advantage of it. You can have a lot more fun in the twisties with a decent set of tires over a set of all-seasons. Mitsu spent so much money designing the suspension on the EVO, why hold it back by throwing on some all-seasons?
Old 11-24-2004   #20
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

One more thing, dedicated snow tires make winter driving so much safer and worry-free its amazing. My beater Talon last winter with year old snow tires was out hill climbing my roomies Grand Cherokee...not to say I'd rather have the Talon than a Jeep in the snow, but it was interesting none the less.