MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-08-2003   #1
no1692

hey, just wondering if anyone has removed their balance shaft? what's the ride like and do you know what the gains are? besides eliminating the risk of the belt breaking. thanks, newbie question i guess.
no1692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
The gains are easier timing belt replacement and the ability to rev to high rpms safer. As far as HP gains, it can't be much. Some people claim it feels like they gained a bunch of HP, but I throw it into the imaginary gains realm with light flywheels and light pulleys. Will the motor rev down in neutral quicker? Yes. Will there be a measureable gain in HP on a dyno, probably not.
Old 12-11-2003   #3
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
it frees up a little horsepower, but nothing that would be noticeable butt dyno wise, unless they weren't timed correctly. It causes a small vibration, hardly noticeable after a few days. Not the worlds easiest task to do install/removal wise. I recommend it as a relability reason, i've seen balance shaft belts snap, and they get mighty close to taking out the t-belt, never had one happen on me, but it has happened many times.
Also makes it cheaper every time you change the t-belt (don't have to buy balance shaft belt and tensioner).
Old 12-11-2003   #4
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
I don't know, I think it was worth about 50-60 horsepower gauging by my butt dyno. :bs:
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #5
Raptor
ConArtist

horsepower claims vary depending on who you talk to, it is a loss of crank driven weight so from an engineering standpoint, it is worth 2.8 horse per pound and considering that the shafts spin at twice the speed of the crank, it should be worth something. If you decide to do it, maybe it would be cool to dyno the car first then after so the debate could be settled with some numbers. if you do it with the engine in the car, make sure there are no small children around, they shouldn't hear the things that will be flying from your mouth. The reasons stated above are the best reasons to do this by far, it is a smart move for reliability.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #6
Red GST

Tournaments Won: 6

less rotating mass = more power but look at this way in my 2g the balance shafts are removed and on the highway you can really tell especially at higher rpms when you feel it in your a$$ or when anything loose rattles if you got good motor mounts but theres pros and cons to the removal
Old 12-11-2003   #7
Red GST

Tournaments Won: 6

extreme motorsports estimates a 5-7 hp gain :brownnoser: