MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-23-2004   #1
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero
Good news: Car runs great after I installed my new block. This motor is going to be a lot of fun. Thanks QPR! Can't wait to change my oil, break in the clutch, and dyno tune it at Elite. My DSMLink works, and everything else I replaced seems to be fine.

Bad news: Decent oil leak from the front case side of the engine. There is a small amount of oil on the back side of the cam gear, top of the waterpump, inside of lower timing cover, and then down the oil filter housing/front side of the block. I leave about a 4" puddle after I get back from driving the car. Car doesn't leak any oil at idle (that I can notice) or when it is just sitting in the driveway not running.

Theories of what may be leaking: Cam seal on exhaust cam as there is oil on top of the waterpump and a bit inside of exhaust cam gear. Also, with some help I installed some 1g M/T cams and did not replace the seals. Another theory is that there is a bolt that goes through the waterpump, front case, timing accesories, ??? that intersects an oil passage that is leaking. Right now the leaky cam seal seems the most logical theory.

Are there any bolts that could leak oil on the front case side of the motor? I didn't install the new front case so any bolts used in that process are probably not suspect as they are brand new and were not installed by me. The bolts I'm worried about are the waterpump, 2g front engine mount, hydraulic tensioner, ???.

It was suggested that I remove the valve cover and cam cap that houses the cam seal and have a look. Maybe add a little grey goop while I'm in there and then see if that stops the leak. If that doesn't work, I'm going to remove the timing covers to see if there is a leak somewhere else and or replace the cam seal.

Jim
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
There is a bolt that goes where the front balance shaft was too. If Mike installed the front case, I am sure he blocked that off too. Is there anything on the timing belt? Did it fling any of the oil up to the top?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #3
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Quote:
Originally posted by JET@Aug 23 2004, 02:56 PM
There is a bolt that goes where the front balance shaft was too. If Mike installed the front case, I am sure he blocked that off too. Is there anything on the timing belt? Did it fling any of the oil up to the top?
Mike installed that bolt, its blocked off. The timing belt appears to be dry, no oil on it at all. Just the back half of the exhaust cam had oil on it and there was a decent amount on top of the water pump all the way to the front water pipe.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-23-2004   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Yep, I would look at the cam seals.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #5
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Update: Replaced exhaust cam seal and that fixed the leak!

Jim
Old 08-30-2004   #6
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
nice nice... got it all fixed up and ready to go?

-E
Old 08-30-2004   #7
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Quote:
Originally posted by Enes@Aug 30 2004, 09:15 AM
nice nice... got it all fixed up and ready to go?

-E
Yeah, I have over 500 miles on the new bottom end and clutch. I'm going to raise the boost from 10 PSI to ~16 PSI and see where that gets me. Hopefully soon a dyno session will be in order.

Jim
Old 08-30-2004   #8
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
Well just take things slow that way you can catch anything if it goes wrong.

Might want to start upping the boost by 2psi, do a few logs, pulls/driving around, then up another 2psi and repeat. Check the car each time you up the boost prior to going for another run.

That way you can catch anything if it goes wrong. IMO it's best to be over causious till the car proves itself. Plus it's also a piece of mind.
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #9
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowWhite@Aug 30 2004, 09:33 AM
Well just take things slow that way you can catch anything if it goes wrong.

Might want to start upping the boost by 2psi, do a few logs, pulls/driving around, then up another 2psi and repeat. Check the car each time you up the boost prior to going for another run.

That way you can catch anything if it goes wrong. IMO it's best to be over causious till the car proves itself. Plus it's also a piece of mind.
You bring up some good points about raising the boost level in small increments. I would more than likely make a few runs at a 13-14 PSI level and check things out before I would go up to 16-17 PSI. I've done this everytime in the past when I have made a major change to my setup (turbo, exhaust, MAFT & SAFC, etc.).

Believe me when I say I'm cautious to the point of annoying, just ask the guys at QPR.

Jim