Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2006   #22
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Engine Building-What Products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonFiero View Post
Mike what are you saying? Shane, Cher, Mo, and myself all overlaid a stock 2.4 cam gear on top of a stock 2.0 cam gear and remarked the timing marks. Pretty simple and widely done, back when I did the 2.4 swap I don't think there were 2.4 cam gears available other than stock.

Jim
The point you are missing is "Why are they different?"

They are different because the 2.4L belt is longer by one (1) more tooth to compensate for the taller (6mm) deck height of the 2.4L block. Not an even number such as 2 (two) teeth. All remarking the gear does is get you close, but the cams are still off by 1/2 tooth which equals 3-4 deg of timing. If the gears were stamped the same and marked the same they would line up the same, but they don't. That's why Mitsu makes a different gear for the 2.4L. Lining up the marks as close as possible still has the cam dowl pin out of position which is what times the cams.

I has to use Fidanza gears to get the adjustablility to correct the timing. When I degreed my cams (HKS 272's) in both were off by 3-4 deg because of the longer belt. I just remarked the cam gears..

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote