MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2009   #1
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest
why new FP big16g no make power?

So, my friend with a very nearly stock conquest just upgraded from the 12a to an FP-made big 16g turbo.

At the same boost level as before (13psi) there was no difference from stock. We were both expecting it to be at least noticably faster, yet it was not. So we turned it up to 15psi, pretty much the same thing, almost imperceptibly faster. We looked under the hood, and one of his couplers wasn't holding the pipe in, we though that might be contributing to the slowness, and we replaced the pipe with the stock cloth-wrapped rubber hose. No change.

I had peered into the exhaust and inlet of this new turbo, and it is slightly different, a little bigger, but there looked to be a larger-than-normal gap between the blades and the housing walls. He didn't take great pictures, but could even a slightly too-large gap cause a turbo to perform so badly?

here are his pictures, plus one of my 61 for comparison:

Just looking at the stock turbo, the gap was significantly smaller on both intake and exhaust wheels. Could FP have messed this up?

Also, he has the stock exhaust with a downpipe and different muffler, but even so, I'd think we'd be able to tell a difference just switching out turbos.

His exhaust made an incredibly loud hissing sound when he'd get on it. It's kindof like stock cars flooring it, but just a lot louder.

Any ideas about this?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote