Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2009   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Over revving issue

Just figured I'd share my new 'pain'. Car ran pretty good at the track. My new clutch held GREAT.

Went to Uni that night and when I left, a Mustang wanted to have some fun on the highway. I went to shift from 3rd into 4th, and well, lets just say it wasn't 4th that I went into... wooops!

Car because completely unresponsive. Pulled over, and the guy in the Mustang was nice enough to pull over too. He was pretty cool. We looked under the hood, found the CAS plug got loose. Plugged it in better and the car fired right up.

I was able to get it home, but the clutch is slipping HORRIBLY. By horribly I mean, in 1st gear, 1/4 throttle, it slips. Makes accelerating from a stop pretty laughable. There was a little clunking as well at first which did go away.

So got it home and let it sit for the night. Started it up Sunday and drove it down the driveway to see if the issue remained, and it did.

So today I've started my tear down / checks. I checked under the valve cover for any rockers that might have fell off. They were all there. Some seemed a little loose, which I'm thinking is probably some dead lifters to blame, which I've already been suspicious of. I have a brand new set of 16 here ready to go in anyhow.

Then did a compression test. Results starting at the cylinder closest to the T-Belt were:
160 - 165 - 170 - 165. Pretty much right what they've always been at. The one that is a little low, is the one I had my valve dropping issue with last year. So I expect it to be a hair low anyway because of the tiny knicks in the cylider wall. So to me, I'm pretty happy with those results.

Now I'm going to begin removing the head. Then will be removing the tranny, inspect the clutch and flywheel (suspect loose flywheel bolts which would be the knocking we heard on the way home). Then will drop the oil pan, and remove all rods/pistons and inspect them and the rod bearings.

Yippee
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote