MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 06-28-2006   #1
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Good read about public schools

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/27/dob...e28/index.html

I find myself thinking more and more about this typs of stuff and wondered what opinions on here would be. We have members in school, members who just graduated, members with kids soon to be in school, and members with kid in school. We should have some good discussion on this one.
Old 06-28-2006   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: Good read about public schools

It's the parents and kids fault. No teacher, especially nowdays, can force some undisciplined kids to learn.
Old 06-28-2006   #3
520Talon

Its to lng to red adn I ain't understanding any who.

If anyone needs a good reason to stay in school, come on down to sunny AZ and give me a little visit. I am almost 30! (turned 29 this month) and I am still in school. When you are out of school it is harder to meet real quality 20yr olds. You should see the one I just kick out of my house, the new one is pretty close, but no nearly as crazy.

Plus the jobs keep getting better as well.

Schools are a hustle. Everything you need is there. You just need to figure out the system to get it. Life is the same way. It is all right in front of you and all around, know how are you going to grab it?

P.S. Hows things Allen? Planning on a little one soon?
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

I currently work for a public school district, and although I don't work directly with kids I see and hear first hand what goes on within the district. The majority of all school districts in this state are experiencing declining enrollment, meaning that more students are graduating high school than are those enrolling in kindergarten or first grade. The way the state provides funding to schools is on a per-pupil basis, so the less kids attending school, the less money is provided to fund the school. My district closed two elementary schools last year, in turn moving the district office and a community education center into those two buildings. At the moment they are current holding out on getting rid of those two empty buildings because if they lose one or both of those buildings the district will lose deferred maintenance funding from the state. This coming fall the district has a proposed levy on the ballot to funnel tax money into the district to help keep it afloat. If this fails this year and next year I don't even want to imagine the changes that will take place. Needless to say I will be out of a job. This is what most districts are facing as far as money goes.

Beyond funding, I do notice a lot of students who seem to take thier schooling for granted. It lessens as they progress in grades, but especially in middle school the students act as if they don't care. I've visited all of the schools in the district since school has been out (2 high schools, 3 middle schools and 8 elementaries) they all have summer classes going on. Just today I was in a computer lab working on some machines and the kids came prancing in ahead of the teacher and had quite a bit of disrespect for me and the couple of people I was working with. From what I've experienced in my short time at this school district I place heavy blame on the parents, but the kids do have responsibility of their own when it comes to learning and achieving a certain degree in school. No teacher can make a child do anything they don't want to do, and no teacher should ever have to punish a child for not behaving in their class. I had no idea special education played such a huge roll in schools either. More students than you can imagine take part in special education classes, mostly because of learning disabilities. Parents need to start taking more responsibility in the lives of their children, beyond just making them happy.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #5
Thor06
11 Seconds to Freedom

Send a message via AIM to Thor06

I am wayyyy to tired/impatient to read that whole thing but if it goes where it looked like it was going, I have something to say. I just graduated this spring and I am headed to college (U of M institute of technology in Minneapolis). I can tell you this: its no body's fault that kids are dropping out but their own. Its a personal decision, it cant be put off on the teachers 'n shit. Sure, I can see where our generation may be lazier (spelling? holy hell that looks wrong) than past generations, but I dont think its anyone's fault but our own.
Old 06-29-2006   #6
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
It's the parents and kids fault. No teacher, especially nowdays, can force some undisciplined kids to learn.
I agree 10 fold. I really feel for teachers today. If they don't push the kids they get slack. If they push to hard they get slack. I work with a lady who's son just graduated with a 4 year degree and is going to enter the teaching field. Due to the lack of jobs he's being advised to enter a program that will send him all over the counrty to teach in more urban schools. One thing she mentioned is that this sdame program seems to take 6 out of 10 young adults who want to teach and lose them due to the schools they are placed in. For what they have to deal with from teens today it's not worth the pay it seems.

This was pulled from that article:

"And a bold new educational program called the Kalamazoo Promise has begun in Michigan. Under this plan, students will receive free tuition at Michigan's state-funded universities and community colleges if they enter the Kalamazoo school system at kindergarten and remain in that school system through the 12th grade, maintaining certain established grade levels. Other students will receive substantial help with their college tuition as long as they enter the public school system by the ninth grade. Incredibly, it's all being funded by anonymous donors, and they need to be commended for their efforts"

I think we need more people like this and more programs like this. It would do wonders.

We also need to stop helping those that stop helping themselves and expect handouts. All these people should be tossed along side criminals and such and tossed out to a place like Montana. Just fence up the whole state and do weekly dumpings

On a side note... Mr Olsen wtf have you been up to. Glad to see you're still living the dream down there. Gotta gimme a buzz when you're back in town. And no, no little one planned yet.
Old 06-29-2006   #7
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

If i was a teacher i would kick the shit out of any kid that lipped off to me. Then tell them if they told anyone i would eat their parents. Lets scare some learnin in em. LOL
My dad taught for 38 years, i dont know how he could have dealt with some of the shit he had to from little punk ass junior high kids from woodbury. He had some kid threaten him, and he couldnt do shit... so i had to. lol i tracked that little bitch down with a couple of my friends, needless to say the little fucktard didnt say shit to my dad again.
Is it me or with the decline in decent music did the kids get more annoying and lazy?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote