MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-15-2006   #1
LaunchHard

Car is running hot and i don't know why.

Situation:
I have a 1g with a 50 trim and all the supporting mods, including two high power fans which i have ran to a switch inside. My car has been running hot ever since the weather has been hot. It runs pretty good at night when it's a little cooler. I gave it a full coolant flush thinking the system may be clogged, but it didn't help. I replaced the thermostat, which also didn't help, so I tried running it with no thermostat, which only made the car take longer to warm up, but it still runs hot. The car has never overheated. I don't know what could be causing this. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I can't get my car tuned until I can get it to run at normal temperature.
LaunchHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2
dsm95gsxer

Re: Car is running hot and i don't know why.

I would start by checking your belts to make sure they are not too loose as the water pump is driven by them. Start simple Leaks will also cause a fit in your cooling system, pressure test it.
dsm95gsxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #3
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Make sure your cap is on tight and isn't leaking, if it is leaking and your system isn't pressurized it could cause higher temps. Other than that if you have the fans and your sure the radiator isn't crap I would just start checking the basics, make sure your fan are turning on correctly.

Do you havea FMIC?
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #4
CDeutsch

What's your definition of hot? Greater then 200? 210? 220? 230?
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #5
LaunchHard

I only have a stock gauge, so i don't know in numbers, but it's about 3/4 of the way from over heating, just passed the P in TEMP.
And I do have a FMIC.
Old 06-20-2006   #6
Shane55113
Now 20% less Racist

Send a message via AIM to Shane55113

Go to MAS and get water wetter and then go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of distilled water, apparently it'll keep you from overheating if you only need to drop it like 20 degrees.
Old 08-13-2006   #7
LaunchHard

I know this is an old thread, but i figured i'd post on it rather than making a new thread. I'm still having cooling problems.
I bought a 180 degree thermostat, a high pressure radiator cap, and an Koyo radiator. When i replaced the thermostat i went to burp it and the the temperature on the gauge rose slowly and got to the center, then it kept going and the fluid level never dropped on the top of the thermostat. This is the third thermostat i've insalled and it seems as though none of them are oppening. This one is even a fail safe, could it be possible that they aren't opening. Mybe i'm installing them wrong, are you supposed to have the spring up or done, i have it down. Please Help!!!
Old 08-14-2006   #8
JiggahMan
Banned

I had the same problem. I even went as far as to swap headgaskets and have my head decked. Still no dice. I swapped my head/block and it fixed the problem, so I think my problem was a clog in the head somewhere. Because the block looked fine as far as I could tell. I haven't gone through and looked at the head yet though. Oh, and by the way. The reason I got a new motor is because that problem got to the point where I could only drive literally half a mile after the car was warmed.
JiggahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #9
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

You could try and replace the thermostat housing itself. Other than that the head could be your problem, but its hard to tell outside swapping it really.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #10
LaunchHard

My car has never overheated, it just runs hot, according to the stock gauge. I think i'm going to buy an aftermarket one to get a more accurate reading. But besides the head, does anyone have any other suggestions? I really don't feel like swaping heads, but if all else fails, i may have to try it.