MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-01-2006   #21
Elementality158

Send a message via AIM to Elementality158
Re: 16 Turbo lag

Here it is. You kinda need an air compressor. Or a bike pump might work. not sure.

The smaller one seems to work better so yeah. Just measure the size of the turbo.
Elementality158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #22
MYTOYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94talonawd
What are all of your mods?

If it is a boost leak like what some are saying, it would have to be extreme. And If the leak is that big, your car should sputter. Does it sputter under boost?

Check your manifold to see if it is cracked (Most likely it wont be cracked, unless you still have the stock 1g manifold). Also check the four bolts on top of the manifold that holds onto the turbo and make sure they are tight. If they are tight, check the metal gasket that lays in between the manifold and the turbo. My guess that there is a leak somewhere around there, causing air to escape and not spinning the turbine wheel like it should, and causing slow boost build.

I would also consider looking at the wastegate flapper to see if their is a crack on the housing (i highly doubt thier is a crack though, but just incase) causing air to go pass the wastegate and not spinning the turbine wheel like it should.

Check also to see that your wastegate is tight. Not moving freely. Make sure the wastegate flapper is closing all the way.

My .02 cents.
Mods are Big 16G turbo, Blitz BOV, 3" turbo back exhaust, S-AFCII, Greddy Electronic Boost Controller. I have not had the car long and am not sure if I have any fuel upgrade mods, I need to do a little research into the injectors.

Once the boost builds it does not sputter at all, the boost holds really well and the car pulls.

Thanks for all of your advice here. I will spend a night during the week investigating everything you guys have pointed out.
Old 09-03-2006   #23
MYTOYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementality158
Here it is. You kinda need an air compressor. Or a bike pump might work. not sure.

The smaller one seems to work better so yeah. Just measure the size of the turbo.
Thanks! Are you restricting the pressure on your compressor to get the right psi? I just ask since I don't see a guage with your setup there.

Thanks again, a picture is worth 1000 words...
Old 09-03-2006   #24
94talonawd

Send a message via MSN to 94talonawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTOYZ
Mods are Big 16G turbo, Blitz BOV, 3" turbo back exhaust, S-AFCII, Greddy Electronic Boost Controller. I have not had the car long and am not sure if I have any fuel upgrade mods, I need to do a little research into the injectors.

Once the boost builds it does not sputter at all, the boost holds really well and the car pulls.

Thanks for all of your advice here. I will spend a night during the week investigating everything you guys have pointed out.
I would probably look in to the electronic boost controller.

On my 3/s, I had the Blitz dual SBC and there was soo many settings on there to configure and it didnt work out properly. It was causing wierd boost settings and sputtering.

Look at the manual to see if the setting on the boost controller is set properly.

When I had took off the electronic boost controller on my 3/s and put on a manual one. It fied all my car problems.

I dont know if this is a factor involving your problem, but it was for me.

So I would just look into that too.
SAFC-II
---------------
99 Civic D16 - EVO3 16G - Hondata S300 - Xenocron 4bar@21PSI - RC750cc's - Eagles/Vitara - Compcams
12.3@114, 1.81 60ft

-On it's way to 11's....
94talonawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #25
94talonawd

Then again, do that boost leak test. That will answer a thousand questions.
SAFC-II
---------------
99 Civic D16 - EVO3 16G - Hondata S300 - Xenocron 4bar@21PSI - RC750cc's - Eagles/Vitara - Compcams
12.3@114, 1.81 60ft

-On it's way to 11's....
Old 09-03-2006   #26
94talonawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTOYZ
Thanks! Are you restricting the pressure on your compressor to get the right psi? I just ask since I don't see a guage with your setup there.

Thanks again, a picture is worth 1000 words...
Yes, hook that up to the compressor and compress air into that fitting.

Start at a low psi first and work you're way up to say about 18-20. Just look at your boost gauge. Then you should be able to tell if you have any boost leaks.

http://vfaq.com

Go there. They have a lot of information.
SAFC-II
---------------
12.3@114, 1.81 60ft

-On it's way to 11's....
Old 09-04-2006   #27
MYTOYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
When does it hit full boost in 4th gear from a 2000rpm roll? 1st gear is going to be very laggy. Some cars can't even hit full boost in 1st gear.
I just tested this twice on a flat section of road and the results were similar both times. From 2k rpm, flooring it takes about 8 - 9 seconds to reach full boost which was set to around 17psi, this happens when the tach swings by 3400rpm. Perhaps that's ok since these cars don't seem to have much torque down low but it's a little frustrating.
Old 09-04-2006   #28
MYTOYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94talonawd
Yes, hook that up to the compressor and compress air into that fitting.

Start at a low psi first and work you're way up to say about 18-20. Just look at your boost gauge. Then you should be able to tell if you have any boost leaks.

http://vfaq.com

Go there. They have a lot of information.
Thank you.
Old 09-04-2006   #29
1ViciousGSX
Admin

A small leak after the compressor or before the turbine can make a big difference in spool up.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #30
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy

Oh hell yes it does. I replaced my Ex Mani gasket and ported some parts on the exauhst and oh my god. Get that stuff looked into. The car has had an exauhst leak since i've had it. It's like a brand new car now.
Old 09-05-2006   #31
Elementality158

Send a message via AIM to Elementality158

If you have a boost gauge in the car just have someone watch the gauge while you fill. Fill it to 20 or so. Then watch it drop. If it goes fast, then bad. But if it stays up there real well. Then you have it tight Listen for any leaks, they can be in the weirdest spots.
Elementality158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #32
vertigo210

I can relate with a bad boost leak.

1) Check the turbo bolts and gasket (the bolts fastening the turbo to the exhaust manifold). I once had those bolts back out and it was extremely hard to build up boost.
2) Check the upper/lower intercooler pipes (especially at the couplers). I once had the clamp on the lower IC pipe loose and it made it difficult to reach full boost.
vertigo210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #33
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

It sounds like the problem is your Vet makes 517whp and 490trq and your DSM would be lucky to make just over 1/2 that. I would do a boost leak test, check all clamps, pcv valve, exhaust manifold bolts, boost controller settings, turbo shaft play. Fuel mods should be somthing like Walbro 255, ajustable FPR, 650cc or similar injectors, SAFC 2, and a FMIC would help.

~John
Old 09-11-2006   #34
MYTOYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0
It sounds like the problem is your Vet makes 517whp and 490trq and your DSM would be lucky to make just over 1/2 that. I would do a boost leak test, check all clamps, pcv valve, exhaust manifold bolts, boost controller settings, turbo shaft play. Fuel mods should be somthing like Walbro 255, ajustable FPR, 650cc or similar injectors, SAFC 2, and a FMIC would help.

~John
lol, the Vette sets the bar pretty high. It's tough moving between the cars that's for sure. I have an unexpected issue with the Vette at the moment so as soon as I'm done with that I will be revisiting this and will be sure to post the results.

Andy