MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 10-22-2006   #1
x1genx

Drives: 90 1g awd
Send a message via AIM to x1genx
problems with wiring harness

Ok, so to prep on the issue I have a 94 tsi.

Last week I very accidently in a noobish way burned a hole on my o2 sensor wire driving back to my apartment. The next day I went to start my car and thats when things got ugly. I started smelling burning ecu. etc. etc. etc.
So i pop the hood and notice that all 4 of the wires on the o2 sensor have melted together and are also trying to melt my entire wire harness too. It ended up melting the wires on the harness end of the o2 sensor plug.

So here is my question I have a donor harness, and now on the o2 sensor portion of the harness there are a red wire. a black. and then coupled together in like a a metal mesh are 2 more wires one black and one white in color.

If I unwrap the two wires that are snaked together and splice them into my harness on my car is there going to be any issues with seperating these wires? Should I snake them back up again? would electrical tape suffice?
Im just scared to mess more things up again.
x1genx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #2
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Re: problems with wiring harness

I would think that just wrapping them back together with electrical tape is fine. I honestly don't know why they seperate those two wires..maybe because they are reversable (you can mix the two up, and the sensor will still read the resistance?) Anyway, I'd splice the harness, wrap them up in tape, then the whole thing in tape. Oh, stop being a noob lol jk

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #3
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Re: problems with wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1genx
If I unwrap the two wires that are snaked together and splice them into my harness on my car is there going to be any issues with seperating these wires? Should I snake them back up again?
I would wire them back up they way they were originally found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638
I honestly don't know why they seperate those two wires..maybe because they are reversable (you can mix the two up, and the sensor will still read the resistance?)
Doubtful. I would assume that the wires are positioned the way they are to serve as some form of noise isolation, similar to why capacitors or operational amplifiers are placed in sensing circuits.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote