MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Member Intros/Bios

Old 10-27-2006   #1
proricanracer

Newbie with a couple of questions...

Hey guys....I'm new to the forum, but not new to import tuning. I can usually be found on mnsportcompacts.net or club240.com . But anyways, what brings me here is the winter beater I'm considering to buy. It's a 2001 Eclipse GS 5-speed. It's really nice, interior and exterior wise. The engine has 119,XXX miles and it looks like the previous owner (female) took very good care of it. I have a 240sx that I drive as my fun car, but I won't be able to drive it for the winter, hense the reason I'm buying this car.

But the things I need to know is, how long do the engines last on these things. I'm typically a Honda/Nissan guy, so I don't know crap about Mitsubishi cars except for the basics. How many more miles before stuff seems to go wrong? I use to own a 3000GT, and I know that these don't compare, but since they're both the same make, I figured the engines are similar and once my 3000GT hit 120K miles, it seemed like everything went wrong with it. Am I to expect the same thing from the 3rd gen Eclipse? Any input would help...here's a pic of the beater I'm planning to get:

p.s. It's only gonna cost me $5,790

proricanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #2
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Re: Newbie with a couple of questions...

* I removed a few other posts cause "some" members don't realize we are trying to expand a bit *

Overall, if they stay un touched they are pretty reliable. Our neighbor had one for several years and she beat the shit out of it with her driving style, but never had a problem with it aside from normal wear and tear.

I'd say for a winter car, with good tires, a good clutch, and in proper condition for the MN elements it would be a nice car you could rely on for a while.

Try and get a compression test done on it at the owner expense if you can, and just keep an eye on any possible leaks. It's getting to the point where leaks and little problems will be a bit more prone on cars of that year now.

http://club3g.com/ is a pretty good resource as well.
Old 10-28-2006   #3
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Damn, that would be one hell of a winter car! Welcome!
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #4
Black97civic
35mpg

Become the 16-Bit Wizard Champion!
Send a message via AIM to Black97civic

My mom has one, its a pretty decent car overall, haven't had any problems, and its an 03.

Backseats are uncomfortable for long trips, buts its alight other than that.
Black97civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Welcome.

I know a few people with 3g Eclipses and none have had any problems whatsoever. Both engines are strong and can take abuse. Keep the maintenance up on it and it'll treat you good.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #6
scheides
flips McGee

There's a guy on mn3s that tore down his motor for a rebuild at about 150k miles and he said the bearings looked like they could have had 10k miles on them. He took the turbos off of his 3000gt and twin-turbo'd the 3g eclipse!

Welcome to the site, and like everyone else said: good maintenance records, a strong clutch, decent tranny, and good tires and you have a nice winter car on your hands!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #7
proricanracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
There's a guy on mn3s that tore down his motor for a rebuild at about 150k miles and he said the bearings looked like they could have had 10k miles on them. He took the turbos off of his 3000gt and twin-turbo'd the 3g eclipse!

Welcome to the site, and like everyone else said: good maintenance records, a strong clutch, decent tranny, and good tires and you have a nice winter car on your hands!

thanks for all the input guys...I'm looking forward to driving this car for the winter....I just got it from the dealership this morning so now it's a done deal...I'm now a Eclipse owner..ahaha...
proricanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #8
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proricanracer View Post
I'm now a Eclipse owner.
And that's all you are. Call yourself a DSMer and you shall be struck down with a fiery wrath.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote