MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-13-2004   #21
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
My two cents. I had a crank turned and re-nitrided. The total cost for that was about $300. Considering you can pick up a used crank for ~$100 and have it polished for ~$50, it's a much better deal.

If you really want to re-use your crank, consider this. After reading up on it a bit, it appears that the nitriding is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Most domestic cars have never had nitrided cranks and still go 100K+. And turning .010, there's bound to be some nitriding left, I don't think every crank has the same depth of nitriding. It'll help longetivity in our cars, but I think with proper oil changes, you'd be fine without it.

Between the two, I'd just find another crank and polish it. And make sure you have your Eagle's big end measured and resized if necessary. And you can analyze bearing speed to death, I guarantee there's not a quantifiable difference in our application.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004   #22
LightningGSX
Hellbound

BTW I think friction increases to the inverse square of the contact area.So a 2x reduction in area equates to a 4x increase in friction.
Old 02-13-2004   #23
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raptor@Feb 12 2004, 11:20 PM
Hahahaha, Hey Mike, we already have that covered. If you want to find out how, send your motor back to Magnus, and we will hook ya up
I can vouch for that... I've seen "the inside scoop" and I left with soiled shorts.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote