MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-28-2007   #1
Talon628

Race Gas

I was just wondering what the goods and bads are for using race gas?. I usally dont use it because I really never could afford it before. But since now I got some money and my car is damn near done,I would like to run it on race fuel.
Old 03-28-2007   #2
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer
Re: Race Gas

Check this out.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#unleaded
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #3
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

The bad is that it will clog up your O2 sensor. Cost is about the only other bad thing.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #4
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

You'll have to tune for race gas. If you just go put 110 in your car, it'll run like poo
Old 03-28-2007   #5
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

and make sure you get the right kind. you can use 110 Unleaded without destroying your o2 sensor completly.
And yes, you need something to tune it with. "You cant just jump in the ring with the big boys because you think you can box." lol
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #6
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

There are a few good unleaded race fuels that will be fine on your car but you will need to tune for it.
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #7
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

So with race gas, do you want to just drive till your tank is almost empty? Or do you mix a little with what you got? Sorry if this is straying the topic a little.
Old 03-28-2007   #8
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

^^ Depends on how picky you are. The more pump gas you leave in the tank, the lower your overall octane will be when you fill up. As long as you have the same mix every time for your "race gas tune", you'll be fine

As to pros and cons, the pro's are the ability to run more agressive timing, more boost, and just have the overall ability to make more power as long as the tuning is there

Some of the cons though, are that you run into o2 sensor and cat issues if you still have them, cost, and eventually you get addicted
Old 03-28-2007   #9
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

Lil' brown man hit it right on the head. IT'S ADDICTING! My car WOKE up and felt quite quicker then it did on pump (could be that race gas was in the better window for the turbo vs. psi).

As stated, your cat will die. Your o2 will die. You will also foul more plugs, but that's not too terribly bad. Lead in the gas is what kills it. But, if you are like a lot of other people, you don't have the cat, o2 to worry about, and you keep a box of plugs in your center counsole

When tuning/driving on race gas, try to keep it as one or the other. I wouldn't mix the gasses that much. Going from race gas tune to pump gas tune I don't really care-if anything it will run a bit rich. But, when I swap to race gas, from pump, the car is pretty much dry as can be. I'd even have a 5 gallon tank in the trunk, so when I run the car out of gas, I then have the race gas to put in it.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #10
Talon628

well Ive been running 110 in my Suzuki GSXR 600, and it ripps way better with no problems, but i guess thats a lil different considering the engine is smaller. And I put like 2 gallons in my 93 N/T talon, mostly because the thing had 8 month old gas thats just been sittin in it all winter. Figured it would help clean the bitch out. But my eclipse is soon to be running and I might want to run it strictly on race fuel, Im more concerned if it would help or make things worse to run it like that?
Old 03-28-2007   #11
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon628 View Post
well Ive been running 110 in my Suzuki GSXR 600, and it ripps way better with no problems, but i guess thats a lil different considering the engine is smaller. And I put like 2 gallons in my 93 N/T talon, mostly because the thing had 8 month old gas thats just been sittin in it all winter. Figured it would help clean the bitch out. But my eclipse is soon to be running and I might want to run it strictly on race fuel, Im more concerned if it would help or make things worse to run it like that?
That's a myth, higher octane gas does not clean anything. However E85 would. Or you can simply put in injector cleaner, which is a form of alcohol.

With no changes, your factory computer will not see knock as much if at all and allow you to run maximum factory timing, which makes some power, but really no better than 92 octane. The real benefit is you can turn up the boost with race gas without knock, that's where the power comes from. If you have a full standalone, you can do a lot more to increase power. Since mine has turned into a weekend car, I've been running nothing less than 100 octane unleaded on the street for years. Now with E85 and being able to tune for that, that's my new soup de jour. Race gas for cheap. It requires a lot of mods to run it properly though.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #12
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

My race gas, is corn gas Good on knock, good on O2 sensors, good on the wallet!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #13
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon628 View Post
Yeah, that is in your head. 110 isn't going to make more power than 92 octane on your bike. It doesn't have a knock sensor and has no way to adjust itself for higher octane. On a N/A vehicle you want to run the lowest octane it can safely run for the most power. If you adjust the timing for race gas, you can make more power on N/A because of the higher octane.

Old 03-28-2007   #14
Talon628

hmm..seems to me im better off just buying some good ol' 92-93 octane huh.
Old 03-28-2007   #15
JET
Is funding Exxon.

For the bike or a N/A vehicle, yes. With a turbo vehicle the extra octane allows you to crank the boost up.