MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-17-2007   #1
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy
More dumb questions from Gravy

Ok, long story short, I'm not the proud owner of a 91 dodge stealth, fuel pump was shot so i replaced it, and without hooking up the fuel return line she started up in about 2 seconds. Ran great and idled perfect. However found the fuel return line wasn't hooked back to the tank. After plugging said line in, i get nothing. Fuel is getting the the engine, plugs are soaked, but it wants to pop over from time to time. But never fires over now. Car comes with a SAFC but what should i set the injectors for, 0% all the way across? Havn't had any experience with one, but i'll be reading up the next few nights. I"ll end up doing a plug/wire change out on it and i know i am getting spark from the plugs and i have compression so

Originally when the car first got a battery in it 1k rpm's was sitting at about 15% and it dropped down from there on the SAFC. Toyed around with it and all the sensors are working from what i can tell. Pump is sealed tight, know it's grounded since i'm getting fuel presure and i'm getting spark so i know that part is good.

Could my plugs just be so fouled it's not getting a strong enough spark to fire it over? Even with my DSM the worlds nastiest plugs would still get the car to fire over more then this thing is... FPR maybe shot? Just seems like i'm getting way too much gas but duno why. Any and all ideas would be great, and i'll probably have a few more dumb questions in the future.

Thx, Gravy
Old 09-17-2007   #2
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Re: More dumb questions from Gravy

If it has stock injections, shouldn't the AFC be se to 0% across the board for completely stock setup? And obviously negative in the lower RPM range if they are larger than stock injectors. Is your AFPR set right? Maybe the FP is over-running the regulator?
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #3
Gravy
Who's this guy?

It is a fully stock set up, and the pump is a 100% oem replacment, not a performance one. So i don't think it's over running the regulator, unless it's bad.
Old 09-17-2007   #4
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

Have you tried disconnecting the return line again?
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #5
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Maybe somehow it got flooded. just unplug the injectors/ fuel pump power and crank till it sputters/starts then dies again. voila, not flooded.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #6
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Maybe the return line is clogged, causing the fuel pressure to be too high? where was it disconnected from before you re-connected it?
Old 09-17-2007   #7
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Someone brought the idea of the return line being blocked, it was disconected from the tank it's self, so it wouldn't be any of the hoses. Believe me, it's returning from the engine JUST fine. But doesn't seem to be making it into the tank. The other thing i thought of is there's a little filter on the vapor return line and it is supose to be a one way valve, but it doesn't really work. Anyone think that could be a small cause of it not running, even though that being in or out doesn't make a difference.

It's a Mitsu, so it's had a good 12 hours of just sitting without being flooded, i'm doing the plugs tonight and seeing if that fixes my problem, i'll try a few things some people at work recomended. Duno if anyone has ever heard of a SAFC causing the fuel injectors to be stuck open all the time. I know i havn't, but it wouldn't suprise me if in my tinkering last night at 3am i didn't do something wrong. But i didn't really change anything other the the fuel % at different rpm ranges, put everything to 0% due to the car is totally stock with only 3" turbo back exuahst and cone filter.

Now, unless i'm mistaken a FPR gone bad wouldn't give me this symptoms would it? Gona go out, check to make sure the line isn't clogged, replace plugs and maybe wires depending on their condition, and see if i can find any problem in the engine bay before i crank her over.

I'm not 100% familure with the car, but does the tank need to build pressure in order to work correctly? The old gasket looked fine, wasn't damaged and was actually fairly new looking, but i dunno if the thing maybe didn't seal.

Edit:

Also, does anyone know if the GM Maf translators will work on my vehicle, i've found some that list for the 92-95 or 99 but never list the 91. Just wondering if there's something really different with the 91's compaired to the 92's. I know there's body differences, but i'm more worried about the motor. The body can look so/so for now, i just want to hear this thing pur.

Also, does it makes sense that i'm seeing zero voltage on the SAFCII for the air sensor?

Last edited by Gravy; 09-17-2007 at 10:38 PM..
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #8
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I was going to say that the return line was blocked. Do you have a gauge to see what the fuel pressure is? a bad FPR could either have there be no pressure or too high of pressure. Also the tank doesnt have to build pressure. The EVAP system is the one that wants the gasket there(beside gas not spilling out).
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #9
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The Mitsus work off of frequency, so you can't look at the voltage. You can go into monitor mode and watch the Karman Hz. You won't get any useful readings in the voltage test screen.
Old 09-18-2007   #10
Gravy
Who's this guy?

New quick little update, i pulled the fuel return line, and gas came out, and was going to blow in it quick so i brought it up fast, put my lips to it, only to get a massive amount of gas to go spraying all over the trunk, my face, and my clothes. So, i figured i'd let this continue, and after my seafoam bottle was full with no stop in sight, i cracked the gas cap and it let out a ton of pressure. The vehicle has been inside, out of the sun all day long, all the lines were hooked up the way they should be.... when i first pulled the lines there was not problem with the tank holding pressure. Anyone know why i'd have so much pressure in the tank after so long, and think that it would be enough to cause a problem. Mind you, the gas line was a good foot from my face when i got hit.
Old 09-18-2007   #11
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Sorry to double post, new info and an update.

Did plugs on the car and she runs, was getting too much fuel and still am... but don't know why.

Started the car up, drove from home to the gas station where i noticed i was leaking gas from the front pas. side. I tried to figure out where from, but couldn't see with the light. Got $2.00 worth of premium gas in and took off for home. Got home and grabbed a trouble light and saw there was what looked like the evap canister in the area the gas was leaking from.

The car will sit untill friday, any and ALL ideas are welcome.... and i'm sure i've got the gas hooked into the right line... but that's the only thing that could even come to mind after seeing what i saw.
Old 09-18-2007   #12
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Sounds like you need someone else to look at the car, befor something realy bad happens.

~John
Old 09-18-2007   #13
Gravy
Who's this guy?

It's all good, i know what i'm doing but i just don't know the car. Turns out i had the lines on wrong the first time, and even after switching them there was fuel in the evap can. So, when pressure would build up the gas would start leaking from the can. With a little help from the guys down at Brookdale Mitsubishi, i got the fuel pump diagram and the vapor return and fuel return were mixed up. I blew through the line on the vapor return and got all the fuel out while it was in the garage and fired it up. Ran like a charm, took it for a few pulls and getting 0 counts of knock through first, and second. Has a loose ball joint on the passengers side, after finding that out i quit messing around. 2% on the SAFC and she runs great, 800 rpm idle, no surge and everything else on her looks good. Belts freshly done 6k miles ago, alt and timing belt. Wires on it are in good condition and fresh plugs in and needs a new air filter. Doing fuel filter tomorrow and may do the ball joint, or just take it in since i'll need an alignment as well.

Sounds like a chevy made love to a civic and popped that thing out.
Old 09-19-2007   #14
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Fuel filters rarely go bad in these cars, I probably wouldn't bother.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #15
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Continuing with some dumb questions, seeing if anyone else has heard of this. But i ran into a problem today on my way home, after a long time driving and running around the car started to "Click" inside like a relay was going off and the car would shut off. I got about 2 miles from home and it finally killed on me. Let the car sit for an hour to let the relay cool(whichever it was) then she fired up like a top, drove it as quick as possible home(No cops in the boonies and no moon) and as i was pulling into the pole barn it started back up.

Turns out to be relay that controls the fuel system on the car. See signature for more input. I'd be willing to believe this is right because the SAFC-II was jumping all over the board, throttle position was changing constantly when it was clicking(even with the vehicle off) 02 voltage was all over the place as well. Main question is, i've read of one case where after the replacement of this relay(PN: E8T07871 0703) the ECU went on someone. Think this was a coincidence or should i get the caps re-done? Second point, anyone know how to do them and willing to for a price? As before, see car info below. Don't think it will be much different between the two.
Old 09-20-2007   #16
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Sounds like bad caps to me. It is pretty rare for a relay to go bad, but can happen.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #17
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Anyone know how to replace the caps, or any of the shops able to do it? I don't feel like frying an ECU if i can spend a few extra bucks and get it fixed.

Going to replace the Relay anyways, because the ECU still works at this time, but kinda worried about driving it now after reading that. Any and all input or ideas would be great.