MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-21-2008   #1
green hornet

Drives: some day my GSX, 95 with 98 conversion and 6bolt
20g Q

i just got a 20g from my buddy that only has 300 miles on it. i woundering what kind of mods would i need to run this turbo safely, pritty much right now i have a stock 1990-92 4g63 that i am doing a 2g swap with, nothing done to the motor it's self, i have a 2g mani on it but thats about it "oh ya motor is not in car yet"
Old 02-21-2008   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: 20g Q

intake, exhaust, tuning device, and 650cc fuel injectors should do it as the bare minimum. A front mount intercooler and some cams would help the situation.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #3
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

You don't need anything special to run that turbo. Keep the boost under 15psi and it will fun just fine with no mods. Note that the compressor outlet is different though.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #4
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I just installed one on my buddies car.
His mods were, Tial Wg, intake, exhaust, stock fuel and stock controller, fuel pump, centerforce clutch, IC Piping, mbc and thats about it.
It runs pretty nicely on 15 PSI. We will be adding injectors and an SAFC this weekend. Would have done it last night but it got late. Hes also trading a guy another SAFC for Cams.
I would actually suggest bigger injectors then that if you plan on running more boost, better to be safe then sorry IMO.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #5
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

What do you mean by a 2G? You don't want to put a 2G motor into a 90-92.

You will need a front mount intercooler, unless you only plan on running 12 psi or less. You will need full turbo back exhaust and an air intake. A tuning system like an Apexi SAFC or DSMLink. Bigger injectors 550cc or bigger, depending on the tuning system you use, the boost you want to run and if it will ever see race gas.

You might need to do some work to the O2 housing setup or get an external wastegate, if boost creep is a problem.
Old 02-21-2008   #6
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You don't need anything special to run that turbo. Keep the boost under 15psi and it will fun just fine with no mods. Note that the compressor outlet is different though.
Some 20gs come with an elbow on the compressor outlet like my friends. His has the Turbonetics elbow on it.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 02-21-2008   #7
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
What do you mean by a 2G? You don't want to put a 2G motor into a 90-92.
yeah you may want to explain that a little more. but what i gathered is that you were putting a 1g block into a 2g body.
Old 02-21-2008   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
yeah you may want to explain that a little more. but what i gathered is that you were putting a 1g block into a 2g body.
At first I thought what Shane did, but after rereading it, he is do a 6 bolt swap in a 2g. Putting the turbo on and getting the car to run and getting the potential out of that turbo will come up with 2 very different answers. Are you looking at just getting the car to run reliably with the 20g on it or are you looking to use the turbo to near its potential.?

Old 02-21-2008   #9
green hornet

no i just want the darn thing to run right first, but i was thinkin of leting the 20g sit on my shelf and put the stock one back on till i get the motor in and running good. and ya its a 6 bolt swap that im doing. DSMLINK will come in june i hope, 650cc's in aug, i already need a fule pump so when it gets warm i am going to get a walbro 255, and i was planing on running a front mount, just have to get the car to run before i go out and buy that.
Old 02-21-2008   #10
JET
Is funding Exxon.

For stocker, are you talking the T25 or 14b?

Old 02-21-2008   #11
2.SlowES

Send a message via AIM to 2.SlowES

I plan on running a 20g pretty soon here.

On the car now:
-full 3inch turbo back with an o2 dump
-HKS 272's
-Hallman MBC

Stuff I need to install prior to the 20g install:
-255 fuel pump
-Aeromotive FPR
-Evo 560's
-2g mas
-Intake
-SAFC
-FMIC
-Evo3 exh mani w/ EGT

From everything I've found, this is a pretty good set up for the 20g. Hopefully this will help you out...
2.SlowES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #12
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

hey yeah u had some non turbo green eclipse right? u know mike standert, he told me ur g/f drooled all over his evo over at tank n tummy lol.

Why would you buy/put on that turbo before getting supporting mods?
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #13
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 1997 Eclipse GST
Send a message via AIM to Project2G

If I was you I would just pick up 720cc injectors so you won't need to upgrade for awhile. My buddy had a set up lik ethis and he maxed out his 680's with his 20G. Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2008   #14
green hornet

ya i had a n/a, but i have a 95 gst chillin behind my house waitin for summer. ya i know mike! lol my girl was going to get an EVO thats why she was lookin at it, we went and test drove a couple already so! but his evo is nothin special, my budy's evo runs 11's on E85 with an evo9 turbo and some other go fast goodies, now thats somethin to drool over.

oh ya it's a 14b, and thanks for the parts list that helps. i got my 20g for almost nothin, you see i HAD my budy's old 16g then he didnt want to put alot of money into his talon, so he traded me a new 20g for his old turbo. kinda dumb but it's what ever his loss is my gain, it was a deal i couldnt pass up!
Old 02-22-2008   #15
green hornet

thanks for all the info on what to do.
Old 02-22-2008   #16
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

One thing I guess I didn't really see mentioned is that you will probably be needing a wastegate, and somewhere to mount it.

If you're just trying to get the thing to run first, I'd say leave the stock one on, get it running well, then throw mods at it.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #17
JET
Is funding Exxon.

I agree, go with the 14b for now.

Old 02-22-2008   #18
green hornet

ya thats what i was thinkin, i just couldnt pass on geting the 20g, so i just thought i would ask about what to do for mods.
every one has been a great help,
well look's like i have a lot of stuff to buy this summer, but it will all be worth it in the end.