MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-12-2009   #1
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy
SAFC-II and Maf Translator, why both?

Last summer in installed a Maf translator, and also have an SAFC, now i know the SAFC gives you more control but i could live with just the GM Maf translator for now. Can anyone give me a good reason to keep both? Otherwise i can pull the SAFC and sell it off.

Most of the time i just keep it up for when i pull my car apart to read the TPS signal when i take it apart, but with a data logger i could do the same thing. Just take a second longer to look up.

The reason i'm not getting rid of the maf translator is because of this:

So i'd like to make it worth wile.
Old 05-12-2009   #2
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan
Re: SAFC-II and Maf Translator, why both?

Getting rid of is because of why?
Old 05-12-2009   #3
Gravy
Who's this guy?

I have two things doing the same thing basically, I can just run one or the other but both is kind of overkill. It's like running two MBC's, sure it works, but only as high as the highest setting.
Old 05-12-2009   #4
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan

I was just asking cause you said, "The reason i'm not getting rid of the maf translator is because of this:" and show a pic of the translator. And I don't see anything wrong with it
Old 05-12-2009   #5
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

he is asking if he can do without the safc and the answer is yes. Some people like the safc on top of the maft just so that they can do a little better fine tunning. You can get by with just the maft and ive done it myself with no problems. its up to you about how anal you are on your super fine tunning
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #6
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

I was on just the translator but only adjusted the base settings to run 560's. I have yet to do any fine tuning with just the translator however you can and it does discribe it in the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #7
GREASEMONKEY
Banned

Moon Lander Champion!
Drives: 92 TSi
Send a message via AIM to GREASEMONKEY

Basically you "0" out the SAFC and use the MAF translator to compinsate for whatever injectors you are using.. Then you can use the SAFC to tune from idle to WOT.

I would keep both, It will help with fine tuning and keep a steady AFR throughout the whole rpm range.

If that doesent make sense i can explain a little more, But you can only do so much with the MAF translator, I had the same combo on my last car and i had 1000cc injectors. The SAFC alone can't control that big of injectors, But if you have both you can make it work..

Hope this helps

-Stephan
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #8
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7

When I started EPROM tuning, I kept my SAFC2 in for quite a while just for how nice the display is, but did end up selling it cause I figured I'd rather have a couple hundred bucks to use on other stuff. If you can get the car tuned as good without it, I'd say get rid of it if you could use the money elsewhere or need the money.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #9
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

You should sell the MAF-T because I want one.

But seriously, it really comes down to how perfect of a tune you want. If you're okay with stock maps and scaling, why bother with a more sensitive setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #10
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

You should switch to the MAFT Pro with ignition harness, so that you can remove some ignition timing under boost. You can do a lot more with that system compared to an SAFC and regular. The stock 3S ignition timing tables are usually too aggressive for too much more boost over stock or much bigger injectors(makes it run even more timing). Or switch it to E85...
Old 05-13-2009   #11
Gravy
Who's this guy?

The advise does make sense. I've used the MAF translator due to not running a closed loop bov any more, and i have a $250 intake(reason for the picture) and the stock intake gasket went bad and ripped on me, mitsu only sold the whole intake WITH the gasket, but not the gasket last i checked. So i'd have to get a used one... or buy a new one at the same price of the one from mitsubishi.

I tried E-85 and i did like it, but finding stations when i drive around wasn't working out too well, and i forsee the gas going away in the future(Probably after i get rid of the car). But i like being able to find gas i can run at almost every gas station in the state.

I know the SAFC gives me better control, but being i'm fairly new to the tuning of a car, i think i'll have to have it brought in some time to get it tuned. The 550's were in the car, but were not needed, so i downsized to a 450, and have the 550's sitting in the garage for the time being. I can always go back to them in the future if i want.

I had plans to go TD05 on the car, but i never got the manifolds back from the guy i had weld on the new flanges, so now it's still got the stock turbos and i'll be selling it. I'll need something more reliable, but untill it sells i'll be driving and enjoying 0-60 in under 5 seconds and being able to take 30 mph corners at 60 without worry. I had planned many things for the car, but the loss of my previous job caused me to change those plans. I'll be back to a mitsu, no question in my mind. But i need more cash to do so, these things can be a very fun money pit. :-D