MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 07-07-2009   #1
LaunchHard

Need help with rim sizing

I am looking at some ROTA D2's and they come in 17x7.5 and 17x8.5, would the 8.5's fit?? They come in several different offsets: +20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50. I would really like to get the wider ones, but i dont know enough about rims to know for sure. Any advice is useful.

Thanks.
LaunchHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #2
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Re: Need help with rim sizing

I bet you could get away with a 17x7.5 +30 offset easily. Maybe a 17x8.5 with a +35 or +40 offset but I don't know if it'd rub on the inside. I know those other guys get away with 17x8 Evo8 wheels and those are +37 offset I believe. Ideally, I would think 17x8.5 with a +40 offset would sit like the 17x8 +37 offset Evo wheels do on 1gs but stick out like 2mm which is nothing imo. (you might wanna check with 1g guys with Evo8 wheels to see how much inner clearance they have. If it was me, I'd get teh 17x8.5 + 30 and work with tire rubbing on the outside rather than inside(if there is any).

I've had 16x7.5 + 32 offset and the fronts stuck out about .5 inch so make that a 8.5" wheel and it'd stick out 1" on the fronts, the rears would probably be flush.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)

Last edited by At-Least-It's-An-Evo; 07-07-2009 at 11:41 AM..
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #3
LaunchHard

Like i said... I would love to get the 17x8.5!!! Thanks for the good info Cher!!

Anybody else have some advice??? (maybe some evo rimmed 1g guys??)

Also, what should i do for tire size/brand??

Last edited by LaunchHard; 07-07-2009 at 03:17 PM..
LaunchHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #4
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

You can go up to about 8.5" with a 35-40 offset. It also helps to stretch the tires just a bit for fender clearance, but too much leaves you with that stupid JDM look. For reference, I've got 17x9's on my 1G with an offset of 28 and it sticks out about 3/4" in the front but tucks perfectly on the back, however I also have shortened lower control arms in the rear so YMMV. I've got plenty of inboard clearance front and back with these, but I wish I would've spent the extra money and gotten rims with an offset of about 38 instead. Maybe I'll try pulling the fenders a bit.

For tires, I think the consensus for good and reasonably priced is the Falken Azenis RT-615 and the Dunlop Direzza something or other.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5
mukapahnpy
Broken'In'Fail

Drives: 99 GSX

I run 17x9 245 5Zigen FN01R-C +35 on a 2gb. They stick out from the fender just a little bit. This is also on the stock suspension. It is a very tight fit inside, finger estimate gap is about my index finger, YMMV. The Evo offset +37/38 would be just about flush, in my opinion.