MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-13-2009   #1
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000
Random knock at cruising speeds

This seems to be a completely random thing, but every now and then my car will start knocking and pulling timing under light load/highway speed cruising. I have my DSMlink setup so that the check engine light comes on for anything over 3 counts of knock, but I don't have a laptop so I can't log it when it's happening but I can feel that it pulls timing. As soon as I completely let off the throttle and decel starts it goes away. After that, sometimes it stops, and sometimes it comes back right away so I have to let off the throttle again. Sometimes it's fine for a few seconds/minutes, then it comes back again.

I was thinking it could possibly be a faulty knock sensor, but I don't really have any idea.
Old 09-13-2009   #2
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc
Re: Random knock at cruising speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
This seems to be a completely random thing, but every now and then my car will start knocking and pulling timing under light load/highway speed cruising. I have my DSMlink setup so that the check engine light comes on for anything over 3 counts of knock, but I don't have a laptop so I can't log it when it's happening but I can feel that it pulls timing. As soon as I completely let off the throttle and decel starts it goes away. After that, sometimes it stops, and sometimes it comes back right away so I have to let off the throttle again. Sometimes it's fine for a few seconds/minutes, then it comes back again.

I was thinking it could possibly be a faulty knock sensor, but I don't really have any idea.

Mine has always done that. Mine also seems to pick up certain exhaust tones too because it will pull timing at weird times when I know I'm not knocking and Im not even in boost. But when I do a full pull I get no knock at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #3
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45

Alot of peoples cars do that mine included. I've never been able to tune it out. My sulution was to make the knock sensor less sensitive.

However I have never seen 3 counts so I would start with a fresh knock sensor first.
munchgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #4
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I was gonna say the same thing, new knock sensor.
Is this a new thing or just always done it? If i remember correctly my car did it and when I replaced the knock sensor it pretty much went away but this motor is noisy
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #5
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

It has been doing it on and off since about the middle of last winter. Seems like it will happen intermittently for a couple weeks, then not happen at all for a month or two, then it comes back intermittently again. Last night on my way to work it did it probably 8 or 9 times in a row over the span of about 3 minutes, but then on the way home it didn't happen at all. I will try replacing the knock sensor and see what happens.
Old 09-13-2009   #6
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

get a chevy knock sensor like mine, it doesn't really register knock at all, haha.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #7
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

fatty tell me more about using that chevy unit. is it a starquest thing or dsms to.

but any how if you got dsm link just turn off the knock sensor till like 3500 and under 50% i know thats a bandaid but it works
twack is offline   Reply With Quote