MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 11-24-2009   #1
trunks11

Drives: like an old lady 458/1000
Random injector misfire cel

So I keep getting a 203 cel on pretty much every injector. Sometimes 2, sometimes 4 etc. I swapped resistor packs and checked my connections and still get it.

I had been installing a remote start that I accidently grounded the door pin input on (negative wire was hooked up and I touched the postive input to the chassis) which fried the remote start module but the car itself didn't seem too worse for the wear. Battery nearly died but no blown fuses.

Car runs fine. Fluctuates from rich to lean on idle though. I looked over the ecu and couldn't see anything suspicious. Does anybody know if I just need to replace the caps on the thing?
trunks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Random injector misfire cel

So this *only* happened after you grounded out the door pin input?

If not, start with the basics. Replace spark plugs, wires, coils, ignitor, one at a time. Then caps in ECU if you want...any other mods on the car...s-afc or anything? I had one that seemed to work fine via the interface, but didn't actually do anything to the maf signal.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009   #3
trunks11

Yeah, it only happened after the electrical incident. No check engine lights before that. The caps would be damaged or other drivers? I do have dsm link.

Car is lightely moded with gm maf, evo iii, fmic, 850 fic inj, etc. I do have a coil on plug setup as well.

Thanks for responding.
Old 11-25-2009   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Well something got fried/damaged. Start swapping out parts one by one. Stock ignitions are really easy to find/borrow, might ask dsmlink dudes what might have gotten screwed up with their stuff, maybe its loggable?

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2009   #5
trunks11

I'm going to swap ecu's with my other dsm and see what happens. I was driving tonight and got a random ignition misfire too. Limped home on 3 cylinders, dsmlink said injector 2 no workie. Restarted it and it ran fine - all injectors firing no cel. I'm thinking gotta be ecu with the random wierdness and my prior stupididy.

It's nice to have two of these things sometimes. At least I can keep one running - usually.
Old 11-27-2009   #6
scheides
flips McGee

Try simply resetting the ECU. Unplug power from battery for a few seconds or a minute then plug it back in. I had this problem with my 2G and that was the temporary fix, it would come back after a while.
Old 11-27-2009   #7
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Yea but that was the 6 bolt in a 2g issue. Can't you disable the misfire code in DSMlink so it won't shut off the cylinder? Or is that only dsmlink for 2gs? I know the reason it happens on 6bolt 2gs is because of the difference in cam sensors.

Edit: Wait, do you have a 2g? With a 6 bolt? For some reason I was picturing a 1g but I remember I bought 2g ksports from you last year.

Last edited by asshanson; 11-27-2009 at 12:36 PM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #8
trunks11

Yeah, this is a 6 bolt 2g. I had clicked on the box for misfire to see if other things were going wrong too on link. I didn't know that it would then disable the cylinder after a misfire.

Stupid question but, a injector not firing wouldn't cause a misfire? Or would it since there's no explosion?

I'm going to try to swap the ecus today and report back.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009   #9
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

No, it would still spark and everything, just no fuel to burn. That happened to me when one got clogged with e85 goop.

You need to uncheck the box in DSMlink if I remember correctly, that way it won't check for misfires. Any checked boxes are potential CEL codes it will look for.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #10
trunks11

Well I swapped them and went for a spiriting drive and it seems okay. At first the cel flashed but wouldn't stay on. After about 3 times I never saw it again. I'll have to see after a week of driving if it really fixed though.

There's a connection that I'm not sure what it's for that really doesn't have a good mounting point after the 6 bolt swap. It's that big mabye ten wire black connector with two holes in it for mounts that is up there with all the other stuff (TPS and injector plugs). It was a little loose on the manifold - I don't know if it need to be grounded or not. MAP bolted it down on my other car but I'm not sure if necessary or if that was the issue perhaps, but I can't see how.

On a side note, I did get my remote start working.