MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-18-2004   #21
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowWhite@Jun 17 2004, 03:04 PM
But that's because I'm using the NLTS feature so I just keep my foot on the gas the entire time during a race, and don't let off till the end of run.

I agree with Craig and Jet - due to your car going rich between shifts it'll take an extra second for it to correct the fuel once you get back into gear. Or at least that's what if feels like when I drove with the SAFC. (or when I don't use the NLTS)
Why do you take your foot off the gas when racing??? It slows you down. You don't need NLTS (no lift to shift) either. Just shift quicker. When you are higher in the rpm band, it takes longer to rev. Try it a couple times and you will get the hang of it. I have a NLTS feature on my MSD-DIS2. Honestly, it slowed my shifting down and I don't use it.

Back on topic though. Just try it and see if it is livable. Do not even consider getting AEM to solve the problem. If you don't already know, it costs ~$1500 for the standalone. Then you will keep spending more for add ons such as a wideband, boost controller, etc. You will run a bit rich but for the most part it is livable. I have to vent my bov because of how my ic piping is made. I recommend recirculating a bov but for me, it is not an issue of concern.
Old 06-18-2004   #22
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
NLTS has actually improved my Shifting....Everyone know's I'm up there with the best of them when it comes to grenading Tranny's.

Most of the time it was from trying to speed shift but I'd start to let off the clutch before the syncro's lined up and the car got into gear but I'm still pulling the shifter back so I end up grinding or exploding the gears.

So I learned that shifting fast isn't neccesarily the key to fast racing. it's "Smooth" Shifting that works the best for me. Plus for me a "Piece of paper" for 1 run isn't worth the expense of blowing up a tranny.

the NLTS so far works well enough that the when I shift it slips right into gear every time now?

The reason for me to take my foot of the gas was because I usually shift slow and if I kept my foot on the gas I'd be bouncing off the rev limiter.

-brian
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #23
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Jun 18 2004, 12:00 AM
Why do you take your foot off the gas when racing??? It slows you down. You don't need NLTS (no lift to shift) either. Just shift quicker.
Damn newbies! :P That is called speed shifting. That is much different that no lift to shift. The no lift to shift is a 2nd rev limiter. If you shift at 7500 then you set the NLTS at 6000 (or where ever your next shift comes out at) This will make it easier on the tranny because the engine will be closer to the right RPM when you shift.

Speed shifting is hard on synchros and shift forks.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #24
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
AHAHAHAHA - OWNED :woowoo:
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #25
timwakefieldjr

Tournaments Won: 6

Ok I'm sorry but seriously people a full stand alone just to run a BOV you got to be kidding me. You may see a drop in idle after running hard then coming to a stop light (dang red and yellow lights). Your car may even stall out because it makes your car run so RICH. A simple AFC can help this just lean out the bottom end. Just be ready to tap the gas if it is gonna stall out.

I run a HKS SSQ doing an atmosphere dump, once and a while I have problems with my 95gst dropping down on Idle but I'm still livin it up.

-Tim
Old 06-18-2004   #26
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Just don't be a ricer and recirculate it. Isn't that a good answer? If you are setup to dump, fine. If you don't have a speed density or blow through setup, then recirculate it. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-18-2004   #27
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Amen to that JET, isn't that what I said in the third post? Why the hell is this thread two pages long? And in advanced tech? This post should be in the parking lot. Speed shift, not lift to shift, whatever, if your car is meant to recirculate, then do it, if you have the equiptment to do otherwise then do it. Otherwise you are losing something somewhere, even if its just gas mileage its still stupid.

Granted its funny as hell when some fucking honda has its window down and you come up along side of them and blow off right in their ear and scare the shit out out of them.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #28
john
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally posted by JET+Jun 18 2004, 12:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JET @ Jun 18 2004, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-92tsiawd84@Jun 18 2004, 12:00 AM
Why do you take your foot off the gas when racing???&nbsp; It slows you down.&nbsp; You don't need NLTS (no lift to shift) either.&nbsp; Just shift quicker.
Damn newbies! :P That is called speed shifting. That is much different that no lift to shift. The no lift to shift is a 2nd rev limiter. If you shift at 7500 then you set the NLTS at 6000 (or where ever your next shift comes out at) This will make it easier on the tranny because the engine will be closer to the right RPM when you shift.

Speed shifting is hard on synchros and shift forks. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I am a ricer and a newbie. I have a MSD-DIS2. I know what the fuck NLTS is. Personally, it slows me down that way. I am fine doing it as I plan on rebuilding my tranny soon anyhow. On the 16g, I needed all the help I could to go fast with my slipping clutch.
Old 06-18-2004   #29
john
Business as usual

OK, you guys talked me into it. I am going to spend $1500 to vent my bov the right non-ricer way. That will make me cool then huh? I will save the $2 per year on gas . It will pay it self off in the long run :liar: .

It's just a F&%KING bov!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2004   #30
JET
Is funding Exxon.

How about you just recirculate it like we posted 4 or 5 times?!? I guess some people just aren't quick learners? Some of the stuff Mitsu sent out from the factory is actually there for a reason.

And yeah, speed shifting is really going to help that slipping clutch. Some people just don't get it.

Old 06-19-2004   #31
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Quote:
Originally posted by JET@Jun 19 2004, 03:56 AM
How about you just recirculate it like we posted 4 or 5 times?!? I guess some people just aren't quick learners? Some of the stuff Mitsu sent out from the factory is actually there for a reason.

And yeah, speed shifting is really going to help that slipping clutch. Some people just don't get it.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004   #32
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Dude, for sure get that AEM standalone. At only $1300 to vent your BOV you are getting a bargain. One question though, do you have any tuning experience? I sure hope so
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004   #33
john
Business as usual

BTW, he is being sarcastic. Who is the stupid one who thought of that idea as a GOOD alternative??? Craig??? If anyone wants a ride, I will show them that you can vent a bov and have the car run fine.

In conclusion, buying AEM is a STUPID idea just to vent a bov.