MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-10-2005   #1
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Started my car up for the first time in a few months

As the title explains I have had my car sitting in my yard, covered, for the winter. I decided I would start it up just to make sure it would still start and I just can't live without hearing my baby's pur. I noticed a couple of things, besides that most of the coolant was frozen in the radiator, lines and overflow, luckily the coolant in the block wasn't frozen.

The fuel line going into the filter from the tank had a considerable amount of frost on it, enough to make me notice it being bright white and on the bottom of the firewall. The return line is its usual grungy color. After the car being shut down from being idled for a while, the frost on line melted. The car fired right over after two revolutions as if it had only been sitting an hour, not 2 months. So the fuel wasn't frozen. I have 3/4 tank in there with Stabil. Any thoughts? Or is this normal?

Next I noticed, not just because of today, that the pressure relief from my catchcan was letting out a decent amout of exhaust. The catchcan is getting excess pressure/oil sludge from the valve cover vent and the PCV valve, I have the two Ted together and then going in to the catchcan. There is a dump tube to vent out all the pressure to the ground. After the the car warmed up I noticed that it looked just like exhaust coming from the dump tube. The car was idling and had been for about 10 minutes. Once again, is this normal? Any thoughts?

All in all the car seemed eager to go even after sitting for 2 months, I really wanted to bring her on to the freeway and let her buck, but lack of an AFC and insurance would have ended that fun pretty soon. The car is covered back up and will stay that way until this time next month.

DSM withdrawl sucks.....

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Started my car up for the first time in a few months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine TSi
Next I noticed, not just because of today, that the pressure relief from my catchcan was letting out a decent amout of exhaust.
Most definitely blow-by. I noticed this back when you were on the dyno. It's to be expected with the amount of miles on your engine.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005   #3
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Re: Started my car up for the first time in a few months

Hey, don't say that so loud, she might hear! So what if it has 175K original miles...

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote