MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-07-2005   #1
TGPilot

Send a message via AIM to TGPilot
What tuning tool to buy? DSMlink, AFC II, VPC, etc.

Hello all,

I need honest, personal experiences with Electronic add-ons to tune and data-log my 94 Talon TSi. I am new to DSM's, but not tuning Turbo cars via EPROM reprogramming. With my 1990 Turbo Grand Prix I had a software program that I could re-burn the settings on the EPROM and then go play with the car with another logging program. Rather a pain in the @ss because any changes you wanted to make you would have to go back to the EPROM station and reburn the info to the chip...which also meant pulling the ECM box each time...blah blah blah!

I have been drooling over the "new" DSMlink for the 1G platform and it looks like something I could really grow to understand and use to my benefit. I just want to make sure that if I spend $565 on something...that there wasn't something out there for $100 or more less that would have worked just as good and been just as good of a tool!

Any and all opinions would be welcome as long as you use some type of tuning electronics!

1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo Coupe 222HP / 320ft.lbs @ 3700 RPM
1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo STE 222wHP and 280ft/lbs @ 3850 RPM

Last edited by TGPilot; 02-07-2005 at 08:32 PM..
TGPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #2
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: What tuning tool to buy? DSMlink, AFC II, etc.

Your best bets are either the DSMLink or doing the exact same thing you did with your Turbo Grand Prix and break out the EPROM burner.
Old 02-07-2005   #3
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
Your best bets are either the DSMLink or doing the exact same thing you did with your Turbo Grand Prix and break out the EPROM burner.
Bust out the burner! That's how I do it. There are a few programs out there to mod the code for you. Cheap. I need to put my ECU back in it's place still.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #4
TGPilot

Send a message via AIM to TGPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
It is funny you said that because my wife said...why pay someone to do something you can do yourself! My answer was...because I am older and have a few more $$ in my pocket!

Tuning myself is fun because you really get to learn about what truly makes my cars tick. But I had two fatal motor failures ( = $6000 ) when I played with my Turbo GP's and in all honesty I would rather buy something that makes that margin of error much less to begin with.

I was looking at DSMTuners and found a pretty in-depth thread about DSMlink and the other tuning abilities out there. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/show...hlight=dsmlink

I would really like to hear everyone's opinion of the pros and cons!

1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo Coupe 222HP / 320ft.lbs @ 3700 RPM
1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo STE 222wHP and 280ft/lbs @ 3850 RPM
TGPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #5
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

The dsmlink is far better than an AFC. The next step after that would be an AEM. You are looking at double the price for the AEM though, so the DSMlink is a good compromise.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #6
1ViciousGSX
Admin

DSMLink is the middle of the road for tuners. It is very easy to use and you can make serious power with it. BUT it is still tied to the factory ecu which does have it's limits. AEM EMS is the top dog for DSM tuning, but you have to be patient and take the time to tune it right.

Go the DSMLink.com and read the abilities it has and it maybe it's all you would want. I'm happy with mine.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #7
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

From what I understand, the DSMLink memory board now allows 1G owners to get things setup in DSMLink and then not be required to always have the laptop in the car. Am I correct?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #8
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox

You can do that with 2G DSMLink, the difference is that when power to the ECU is lost, all the settings are retained in the 1G version. If power is lost on the 2G version it reverts back to the default settings that were burnt when the chip was purchased.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #9
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine TSi
You can do that with 2G DSMLink, the difference is that when power to the ECU is lost, all the settings are retained in the 1G version. If power is lost on the 2G version it reverts back to the default settings that were burnt when the chip was purchased.
This is true, but once you get your basic settings all dialed in (injector size, MAS/MAFT, idle rpm, etc.) you can have a chip burned to match them. So if you did loose battery power, your basic settings would still be there. You could keep driving it normally until you got to your lap top to reload your timing and WOT fuel tables.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote