MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-06-2005   #1
Eclipse99

swap questions

I have a 99 spyder gs, which currently has the sohc 4g64 engine in it, it is a 5sp manual tranny. One of my buddies just bought a 5spd 97 gsx that he has a new engine for. The question I have is what are the possibilities of taking the engine from this gsx and dropping it into my spyder. Does anyone know if it is just a straight drop in or is there gonna be major fabricaton needed. Will the mounts match up etc..? anything helpful info or knowledge on the subject will be appreciated. It seems like this swap isn't done too often and not too many people know much about it so hopfully someone here does. thanks.
Eclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #2
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar
Re: swap questions

Well if it is a nt 4g64 in there, then the block should just bolt right in, the only thing I would think might be different is drivetrain stuff, the exhaust/intake, and knock sensor and ecu. It would be some work but not nearly as much as swapping from a 420a. A few other people here could probably elaborate more but I would think it is doable.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #3
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Sell it and buy a GS-T. You will have less headaches in the end and it will be cheaper. The Spyder GST's are cheap enough for you to be able to sell that and buy one of those. Just my .02

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #4
Eclipse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonTurboSpoolinGuest
Sell it and buy a GS-T. You will have less headaches in the end and it will be cheaper. The Spyder GST's are cheap enough for you to be able to sell that and buy one of those. Just my .02
every body says that, it wont be cheaper in the end, because i have already invested so much in the body and other areas of the car.
Eclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote