MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 04-06-2005   #1
armthelaser

Fuel Pump

I have a 1g laser with a stock turbo. When should I get a aftermarket fuel pump. Should it be done when I turn up the boost or when I upgrade the turbo? If I should have one now does anyone have one around they would like to get rid of?
armthelaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: Fuel Pump

For what you have now stock will probably work fine until you really start moving some air. If you really want a change. Walbro 255LP.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #3
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Stock turbo setups don't need a fuel pump upgrade. Just supplying more voltage to the fuel pump usually helps the situation. Unless you like overrunning your fpr, look into a denso drop in (3000gt pump) or a walbro 190. The walbro 255 lp works if you plan on upgrading turbo's, and the 255hp is good for about 500whp.
After that, I would recommend twin walbro's, a supra pump (wouldn't try to push 600whp out of this), and a line upgrade obviously. Way before this happens you should have a good adjustable FPR that rises in a 1-1 ratio, and lets you set a baseline fuel pressure, not some ebay crap.
And of course we could go into injectors, and fuel controllers...but that wasn't asked.
Old 04-07-2005   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Unless you plan on upgrading turbos, stick with the stock pump. I highly doubt you'll ever need anything larger than a Walbro 190, and IMO, most people jumping to a 255 is just overkill and asking for more problems b/c of it (i.e. tuning issues, poor fuel mileage, etc.).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #5
1ViciousGSX
Admin

People, the only difference bewtween a 190LP and a 255LP is reserve capacity. A 255LP will not give you tuning issues. If you are going to spend the $$ on a 190LP, why not just put in the 255LP and be done with it?

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 04-07-2005   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

A 255LP pump flows almost the same amount of fluid as a 255HP at idle fuel pressures, so it can give you overrun problems. The 255HP just flows a bit more at high fuel pressures. As Chris said, a 190 is more than enough for most people. The 190s are terrible at high pressures though, but if you don't plan on making over 400HP, they will do. We totally maxed an old un-rewired Denso 150lph at about 400whp, but they actually flow more than the 190 at high fuel pressure. The stock EVO 8 fuel pump performs about the same as the old Denso 150lph. 2G fuel pumps also flow a little bit more than 1G fuel pumps. Cher totally maxed his non HP Walbro 255 out at 600whp. My Supra pump was starting to drop pressure, but I wasn't totally out of fuel yet, at a little over 600whp.
Old 04-07-2005   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Yeah, I forgot he's running a stock FPR.

But when I had a 255LP in my 2g with the stock FPR, I didn't have any overun issues at all.

(#Y#)
Old 04-07-2005   #8
GODspeed1320

Tournaments Won: 6

rewiring the stock fuel pump should give you some good results but it all depends on how far you are going to go. you should have a goal on how fast you want your car to be. if your going to get a bigger turbo youll need to upgrade the fuel pump. and then get it in tune with a afc.

but rewiring it couldnt hurt. plus its cheaper. there are steps on how to do this and there pretty easy. heres how to do it after you have all your supplies

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96412