MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-21-2007   #21
bluntedelvis
Click,Click,BOOM!!!

Re: Anybody got a spare 3575 or bigger laying around?

Just punch a few holes in the sheetrock in the garage scream a few obsenitys and REBUILD her.
Old 08-21-2007   #22
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

There is a time to step out.. and it seems like now is as good as any. Good luck with whatever you choose steve! Sucks that its been this big of a headache..
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #23
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

I have thought of parting my car out also, good luck with what ever path you go on Steve.

~John
Old 08-21-2007   #24
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

i dont believe it, maybe hes drunk?
He's had that thing since i started liking DSMs and now i am ready to be done.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #25
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post
I have thought of parting my car out also, good luck with what ever path you go on Steve.

~John

I think everyone into DSM's has thought that. I have several times, but I am glad I stuck it out. You are so close now Steve, just plop a turbo on it and have some fun!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #26
Scrmegl
Brian

Danger Wheels Champion!
Drives: '98 TSI AWD
Send a message via MSN to Scrmegl

All the rookies around here need to see you stick with it! Good luck either way though.
Old 08-21-2007   #27
1ViciousGSX
Admin

You guys just can't hang!!!

If anybody would ever have a reason to get pissed and walk away through the years it would be me.
Hum, let's see,.......

1. Had to pay 50% of a transmisssion bell housing replacement due to porosity issues causing a leak because my car had a polished intake pipe and Mitsu tried to void the warranty.

2. TRE found that when the Mitsu tech replaced my bell housing he used RTV on the mating surface which blocked off the pump pressure feed and almost destroyed my transmission.

3. I buy a Magnus stage 4 shortblock, stage 3 head, 1g/2g install kit, etc, etc, etc. Waited twice as long as stated at the time of order to get it. Didn't show up with all the parts once it arrived, pieces were missing from the 1g/2g install kit and no headgasket. Valve cover threads were stripped out. Silver paint in the cam bearings.

4. Get the headgasket, but it's the wrong one.

5. Put it all together, crank it over for the first time to only have it lock up on the first fire due to a stud getting into a cylinder (no, I don't know how). Cracked a cylinder, broke a piston, smashed the valves and destroyed the head.

6. Order a second engine. Waited twice as long as stated at the time of order again.

7. Requested to have the 1g oil squirters added to the 2.4L block and pay for it. Was told it would be done. But it was not.

8. Get the new engine and find that the balance shaft eliminator was not installed and the new headgasket was missing (but was on the order, located one elsewhere). Call the builder (we all know who it was), he says "I'll machine one for you and get it right out" (they don't use the bearing insert). After many more calls through a couple of weeks, he finally machines it and sends it out.

9. Get the piece with the instructions to put some sealant on it and tap it in with a hammer. Just as it goes flush with the block, the block cracks because the builder machined the plug a little too big. So I have to get my block "stitch" repaired by a metal working company.

10. Finally get it running and the driver's outside door handle pops off in my hand the next day.

11. I decide to go bigger on my turbo set-up, so I call the person whom I've done plenty of business with to order my turbo. After telling what I was going to do, I get talked into letting him build my whole set-up, including exhaust manifold and down pipe. After several proto-types over a loooooong time, he decides to send it of to the builder I was going to let build it in the first place, but using his design. So after a long time of going back and forth (2+ yrs) it's ready to go and clears everything.

12. The turbo I got was supposed to have the center section ceramic coated, but they forgot to do it. Also noticed there was a rough spot in the ceramic bearings when turning the shaft. So I had to send it back to have the bearings replaced (was never installed prior to this) and have the center section coated that I paid for.

13. I also ordered an .82 housing seperately to try it against the .63 housing. Got it, but it wasn't machined correctly for my exhaust wheel. So I had to send it back to have it fixed.

14. I got one of the early v2 DSMLink chips which had to be recalled due to a cold start issue in the programing. Thank God they called it back, that was driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

15. I've had to replace my cooling fans twice due to failures.

16. I had my oil filter blow off at the track.

17. I had my head lift at 33-34 psi and blow a freeze plug out at the track.

18. I've had UICP blow off a couple of times during a run.

19. I've had the driver's front inner cv boot split twice.

Not including many things I've probably forgotten about or mentally blocked out due to the emotional trama. And so on, and so on.

My point is that even with all the things that have gone wrong on my 5 year project, I'm still here with something exceptional to show for it. SO DON'T GIVE UP.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #28
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

DAMN! Thats all I can say
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #29
ExTREME
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ExTREME Send a message via MSN to ExTREME Send a message via Yahoo to ExTREME

^Amen.

Don't give up, Steve.

BTW Steve, I'm hoping to get down there on Monday! Got a buddy with a truck and plenty of cash. Do you want it all in one dollar bills so you can make it rain?

Last edited by ExTREME; 08-21-2007 at 06:27 PM..
ExTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #30
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Nah, this is a sudden move, kinda my style, like the way I shaved my head after sweating too much at the gym.

I'm still in Ohio waiting for my truck to be fixed. I'm just sick of dumping tons of money into the car just to have headache after headache getting the car running right and to the track. It was a lot more fun when it was comfy with a 20G and a VPC. Now it's hard to start because of the lawnmower battery, E98 fuel and constantly changing EMS tune. I put a few gallons of regular gas in it to richen it up a bit since my laptop won't connect with the EMS, so now it starts and runs pretty decent. But it rained real hard out here and there was some flooding in the streets. I'm deathly afraid of water and the car since I sucked water in through my old Bushnuts cold air intake but luckily didn't bend any rods at the time. The turbo started blowing smoke yesterday from the previously mentioned turbo failure so now I'm just done with having a race car. My new plan is to sell all the go fast stuff, build a simple 2.0 with 2G pistons, slap a big 16G and a 2G mas on it, add a custom ECU chip and never have to mess with tuning again. It'll be plenty fast on the street, will start up and idle like stock, and have heat, AC, power steering and a bumping stereo just like it had 8 years ago. Plus I think I'll powder coat the Volks a nice bronze so it looks the part as well. Except for the 2G mas, it's going to look brand new bone stock under the hood.

Anyone got a 92-94 complete parts car they want to get rid of?
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #31
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTREME View Post
^Amen.

Don't give up, Steve.

BTW Steve, I'm hoping to get down there on Monday! Got a buddy with a truck and plenty of cash. Do you want it all in one dollar bills so you can make it rain?
Nah, no singles. I'd be tempted to head down to the strip club if I had that kind of scratch in singles.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #32
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

This move is shocking Steve.

But a little advice.

Get your ass and your truck and your car back home. Park the car for a couple weeks.

Then rethink the decision.

There is too much blood, sweat, tears, tears, money, tears, time, blood, sweat, money, tears, and heart into that thing to go backward at this point.

Then buy a REAL battery. And if you are sick of working on it. Drop it off with Shane and take it back when it will run like stock. We are old enough to sometimes say, F it and drop it off for someone else to work on the stuff we don't want to deal with.

You are there, just need the finishing touches, the fine details are the pain in the ass which make it a daily driver again.

In my similar quest, I didn't know if there was ever going to be an end. But happily I have now daily driven it long enough to feel like if something happened now, I wouldn't sweat it anymore.

Just take a break, and everything will be OK. You can still daily drive what you have, just need a tiny bit more patience, and the car will make you happy. Don't make the final decision to throw in the towel for at least a month. If you feel the same then, then go for it.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #33
scheides
flips McGee

YAY for the street car dude! Race cars are just too much work IMHO. Maybe if you had more time to dedicate to it all the time, but I can only imagine the headaches you must have each time you decide you just wanna go out for a drive. That is *exactly* why I bought my Evo. Makes similar (now a bit more) power than my DSM's did but with waaaay less modification. I can count on it being fun every single day I drive it, just gotta make sure there's gas in the tank and that I don't accidently go too many miles of fun before changing the oil!

If I may, skip the big16g and at least do a 20G. You'll miss the power otherwise, and it'll still be as maintenance-free as a 16g. Also, I'm extremely glad to hear that the car will not be entirely parted out. That's one of the saddest times IMHO, when a really well put together DSM gets parted out and sold on the open market because the owner got fed up with it. However, if do decide to sell it, my offer of $500 still stands.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #34
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

My best advice.. DO NOT LISTEN TO SCHEIDES!
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #35
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I am with Mo, I have taken a break from mine several times. I just get sick of working on it, but I always get the itch again and it goes back together. I have gotten the itch again now and I just need to finish the tune and get it looking good on the inside again. Mine starts up fine on E85 and runs great, even with the lawnmower battery! I do have to get a sub back in there though, the stereo is weak sauce. Anyway, give yourself some time to think about it before you part it out.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #36
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Sounds like you want my year round daily driver 1G. Factory internals 2.0l, except for the ARP head studs and the trusty HKS 272s. 2G MAS, tuned EPROM ECU, stock 1G intake manifold/throttle body, a bunch of old hand me down parts, zipties on the dipstick tube. Starts right up, idles perfect, MAS consistancy, Mitsu factory ECU knock sensor reliability, heat, power steering, cruise control, stereo, leather interior, sunroof. I drive it 50 miles a day and it makes 436awhp on the Dyno Dynamics on the daily tune(probably around 515-545 Dynojet).
Old 08-22-2007   #37
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

Glad to see that your at least keeping the car and doing something with it steve. I would hate to see your car ripped apart, and sold off. It's just too perdy Gimme a holla when you get back in town too, we'll chat about that vee dub
Old 08-22-2007   #38
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

You are not parting it out steve. That's just that. You heard over dinner the issues I face lately, and how this year has been the worst for me yet, on pulling heads and trannies off. But still, I won't give up. I expect you will do the same.

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #39
scheides
flips McGee

Hrm, I take back a bit of what I posted last night. I don't think you need to part it out for a good street car, I think you need to put some creature comforts back in and maybe move to E85. Get a full exhaust back on there (or a little more than you have), some extra sound deadining (i.e. back seats and whatnot?), stereo, and some seat time/tuning time. Remembering that dyno graph you have with that turbo, you have quite possibly the ultimate street setup for power. Great torque down low and huge power once things start to get rolling.

Don't give up. Just spend some time and finish getting it sorted back into the street car you want it to be.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #40
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Let me know if you need any help man. I work for FP parts
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote