MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 06-18-2005   #21
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Re: Need some tuning help from some of you Professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeutsch
But what if you fuel system is at it's limits? Oxygenated gas causes your fuel system to add more fuel correct? In that case you'd end up running lean, right?
Only by a couple tenths of a point, nothing your ECU can't handle, even if its at its limits.If your car runs better on non oxygenated fuel, its because the oxygenated fuel was shitty to begin with.If both fuels are high quality, oxygenated will be better.
Old 06-18-2005   #22
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIG
Fuck Holiday gas. Its not as bad as Super America but damn close. It will work if you don't run more than 15lbs but anything over that and its knock city on your car.
really? I've run 22lbs on 93 holiday .

The issue with gasoline, is its not that consistant from station to station, and from metro area to metro area. Some gas stations move more gas, therefore fresher gasoline. Not all grades of 92/93 octane are the same, etc.
The best gas, just bump it out of a barrel .
Old 06-18-2005   #23
Onefast99gsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine TSi
What kind of plugs are you running? With that setup you should be at a BPR7ES and gapped at 28 or so.

BTW +1 to Amoco/BP gas, I would knock like crazy on shitty gas, but with BP stuff I never had problems. Also eventhough Holiday offers 93 octane, don't get it.

They are BPR6ES, I was going to get the 7's but they were out so i just got the 6's. They ARE gapped at exactly 28. They aren't even a week old. I had AutoLite Double Platinums in it. I switched to the NGK's when i was tracking this problem down.

I'm still working on running this tank of gas out. It's not my daily driver so gas doesn't go thru it as often. It's definately the gas though. She doesn't knock at all at just under 15psi of boost. Our choice for name brand stations around here in my small town are BP(which is where i got this tank of 93), Holiday, Shell, Phillips 66, Mobil and Citgo. Being that we're a smaller area, people are cheaper and not using much 93 so it's probably old gas. Our 93 is 2.34/ gallon so i can understand people for not using it. In the cities where you guys are, your gas 'moves' alot more.

I took my alcohol injection unit off the shelf. I hope to install it sometime this week. This outta help make up for the shitty fuel around here and at least allow me to run 21-22psi on the shit 93. Of course i will still try another gas station too.

In my head i knew the equation the whole time but when you read on dsmlink's website about other people setups, you tend to try to save time by running a similar setup as them giving that they are running the same components as you.

Simple equation-

Turn up boost until she begins to knock
then...
Increase timing until she begins to knock

Had i turned to boost down firstly i would have suspected something much sooner.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll keep in touch with this tuning progress.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #24
Onefast99gsx

Niterydr- I'm going to email you a couple dsmlink logs. I tried posting them on here but it says invalid file type. Fuel gauge needle was sitting by E so i filled it up at a different station. "Mobil". I tured up the boost from about 14.5 to 17psi. Same shit. She started to knock again. Not as bad but then again i'm running 2psi less boost than i was the other night. I was getting about 3.2 degrees pulled in 3rd gear. I'm not happy with that. Fuel sliders were about +8 after about 5k. A/F ratio was around 10:1. Yes that rich or seems. The second run, i moved those sliders to about -5. I knocked worse. According to most people you should be able to run around 10.8 to 11.3 A/F ratio on pump gas. I just don't think i'm going to find a good grade of 93 octane in my area. From what i'm told, pretty much all fuel in my area comes out of Junction City tank farms. Yeah when they deliver to the stores, they come on their named trucks but it's all coming from the same outlet. We sures hell don't have a refinery for each and every store brand there is. Who knows, maybe 87 isn't 87, 89 isn't 89 and 93 really isn't 93. The 93 is really acts like 89. I'm not gonna dink with it until i get the alcohol injection hooked up.

I'll send the logs to your email address. If anyone else would like to view them, please let me know and i'll gladly let you inspect them for your analysis.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2005   #25
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Carbon Deposits?
Old 06-19-2005   #26
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Brian aka Slowwhite fought knock problems forever on this 2G with pump gas. I don't remember if cleaning his combustion chambers fixed it or it was just bad gas near his house or what.
Old 06-19-2005   #27
Onefast99gsx

I'll pick up another can of MCCC or Seafoam and try that too. However when i took the head off, i thoroughly cleaned the tops of the pistons with a wire wheel brush down to the shiny piston aluminum. I'll try anything at this point. I'll touch base with Brian to see if his problem was similar to mine.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-19-2005   #28
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I had carbon deposits cause issues but it was throughout the rpm range. WOT would send the car to 40 counts of knock. I had a hell of a time tuning my 50 trim and I know CVD did also. Car just loved to knock. I couldn't get a knock free run at 18psi on pump. It was impossible. Could have been bad gas but I don't know.

This is Carlos...

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #29
Onefast99gsx

Hi Carlos- So were ever up to this point able to run 17-18psi of boost or is it still like that? Mine seems to be at 5200rpms almost all the time in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005   #30
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

He sold his 50 trim and upgraded my 60 trim. He never really fixed or figured out what the problem was. He just started using race gas to get rid of the knock. I am pretty sure he was using 100 or 110and running 18 psi with little or no knock. He wasn't using C16 or anything though. He will post what kind he used. He used to get it at a local texaco station for like $3 a gallon last summer.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #31
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

I used 100 unleaded to get rid of the knock. It was like the car couldn't run 18psi on pump gas. When I was running 92 or 93 octane, I would get a lot of knock but the timing would rise like it is ok. It seemes like I was in a different timing map. I never really got the car to run without a lot of knock, but I had good timing so I lived with it. I popped the HG at 18 psi on 100 unleaded and decided to switch to the bigger 60 trim since it was just sitting for the time being.