MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-24-2012   #21
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Ways to lower my spool-up rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Smaller turbo, you don't need 600+ on the street.
I call BS!

Seriously though you're right, 500 at the crank is plenty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #22
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I thought that was the benefit of the HKS EVC2? Shep and some others were all using it at one point ~10 years ago.
Ball and spring MBCs block boost from getting to the wastegate, which helps it keep from opening too early. The main advantage of electronic setups is usually to running different duty cycles at different RPMs to help overcome boost drop or to have realtime feedback and have the controller shoot for a target boost level. Most electronic setups are not all that advanced though and don't have RPM specific set points or do a horrible job of realtime feedback on high boost setups.
Old 03-24-2012   #23
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Or for 2WD guys to ramp up boost with mph or gears.
Old 03-24-2012   #24
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Thank you to the people who've responded with answers.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #25
spoolin d dub

Drives: 1990 eagle talon tsi awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
As far as racing is concerned, I upshift right into the powerband, so it's not that it's too high. Just looking to make it more "fun". I am really really leaning toward divided housing. So what you said about them being effectively smaller than the same size open housing is nice. I talk with a guy in Illinois alot who has a gt40 turbo on his car with a .96 divided housing. His whole setup is a little different than mine, but he was claiming full boost at 3800rpm.

I just don't know what to think about the housings because I've heard conflicting stories about how they affect the engine in a comparison scenario.

As for tuning, I was thinking a header would allow me to run a bit more timing, which might help spool up. I believe there is lots of room to play around with the tune, especially with a couple different parts.
Who in IL has a 40r getting full boost at 3800rpm. Im in IL. I haven't heard of any car out here doing that. I got positive boost at 3100rpm on my old 70mm but I call BS on him getting full boost by 3800rpm. Who is he?

What is your setup? i'm ask you an important question and I want you to think about it. Do you want to spool faster or do you want better off boost throttle response with better overall power on boost? If you can't rev it out the answer is easy. You need to increase your VE and/or increase your exhaust gas velocity. That's it . An increase compression, displacement etc. The correct sized turbine housing is important. A smaller open may be similar to a larger divided so basicaly they're the same lmao. The design of the header plays a more of a part in performance. Divided or nondivided header really means nothing. Wrap Everything. Your Header, downpipe, Dumptubes. Place blanket on your turbine housing. Do Everything! That will increase your exhaust gas velocity!!

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 03-25-2012 at 11:01 AM..
spoolin d dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #26
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

His name is Runnel Entona, and he's got a conquest. It's what he said, and he hasn't had it on the dyno yet. Thanks for the advice!
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #27
spoolin d dub

Drives: 1990 eagle talon tsi awd

No problem. His name is Runnel Entona. Ok. I'll ask my boi Reggie about him. Reggie has the baddest conquest I have ever seen. Period! I've seen how different your car can be lol. Most DSMers as well as I don't have a clue about you car lol. If you have any questions pm me. I'll relay it to him or i'll see if you can contact him.

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 03-25-2012 at 11:27 PM..
spoolin d dub is offline   Reply With Quote