MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2011   #1541
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

FP? I talked to Hollywood.

'vacuum pulls' can be done on any turbo, I reckon. He knows to leave the injectors the same...he had to borrow my stock injectors the last time around.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #1542
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

There you go

Wanna buy a black, I'll give you a good deal lol.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #1543
Murlo26

Soooo, thinking of switching a few other things during this build.

What are the thoughts on switching to the short runner manifold from MAP? They used it on their shop evo and made 722whp on it so I am guessing that it flows enough. I am only worried about it lasting as they don't make it in house.

I am almost for sure switching my downpipe out for MAP's external dump one for better boost control and maybe the HKS wga instead of my blouch for a few more psi.

Trying to dial in the "perfect setup", basically a wide ass power band.
Old 05-29-2011   #1544
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

MAP short runner = Tomei says a credible source, I wouldn't worry about the quality, plus I am sure they'd warranty it if it ever cracked.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #1545
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
MAP short runner = Tomei says a credible source, I wouldn't worry about the quality, plus I am sure they'd warranty it if it ever cracked.
Chris told me its made in one of the Asian countries, I can't remember which one.

It looked quality when I looked at it though.

After looking at my cars dyno graphs with it, it seems the short runner is kinda the best of both worlds. Especially when I don't plan to go for every last ounce of power this time...at least right away. hah.
Old 05-29-2011   #1546
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Taiwan
Old 05-29-2011   #1547
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Taiwan
Sounds right. I haven't decided if its worth the hassle, but its awfully tempting. It should be worth 300-400rpms of spool from my graphs. Unless Shane tuning gains that back with Mivec on the long runner.

i'd like my spool to be sub 4k rpms on the new setup and basically whp/wtq to be equal...hoping for 475whp/475wtq area...but will probably be closer to 465whp/440wtq area...but I can hope.
Old 06-06-2011   #1548
Murlo26

Just got off the phone with Seth @ ERL.

They got the block last week and they have it inspected and ready to go.

So ERL is checking my old crank out that was still in the block, they doubt its worth saving as the one journal is really F'd up...but hey if they could fix it i could sell it for a few hundred profit, worth a looking. The rod that had the spun bearing is getting replaced for sure, ERL said it couldn't be replaced and to me its not worth trying to fix and I didn't want to risk it. They are going to check the other 3 rods but they said they should be fine.

So gave em the CC number and its paid for now and ready to go. Checking with AMS now on my new pistons that hopefully are done or will be done this week. And hopefully ERL can get it pumped out pretty quickly and I get to move on...yay!

edit: I asked about the oil squirters and they said they will try to modify to make them work or just plug them if the modifications don't work. I am leaning towards just having them plugged but I will leave it up to them, they are the experts...my only line of thought was with them plugged maybe my chain when it stretches doesn't rape the squirter..not sure if thats a big deal even.
Old 06-06-2011   #1549
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Chain-stretch won't affect your piston oil squirters, only the one in the timing case. The newer 4B11T blocks don't use the timing case squirter though, since you bought a new block last year I wouldn't be surprised if yours doesn't have it.
Old 06-06-2011   #1550
Murlo26

Interesting...

Well regardless the 90mm pistons will probably have oil squirter clearance so they said they would try to modify them but its not a big deal if they have to plug them is what they said so we will see what they end up with.

My new pistons are just about done. JE said they are shipping this Wednesday, so that's good news...stuff is moving along.

I am just praying that DB by some act of God is less busy when my block returns lol Maybe I will have to bribe Jim and Scheides with beer and cookies or something to help me go up there and work on it...which probably can't happen anyway as I am sure it would be an insurance thing for working in DB haha.
Old 06-06-2011   #1551
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

They had posted an ad on Facebook to hire a couple people. Not sure if they have yet but maybe things will improve a bit.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #1552
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

I installed my injectors inside the shop, shouldn't be a huge deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #1553
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
I installed my injectors inside the shop, shouldn't be a huge deal.
Yeah.. Injector installs are a bit different then engine installs. Especially as far as an insurance liability goes. The only people who are going to let you know if it's okay would obviously be Shane or Danny.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #1554
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Yeah.. Injector installs are a bit different then engine installs. Especially as far as an insurance liability goes. The only people who are going to let you know if it's okay would obviously be Shane or Danny.
Bingo...I am guessing insurance wouldn't happen. I am not sure how much time it takes to assemble a long block. I'd assume a few days to assemble and drop in and maybe another day to wrap up the little shit. Unless you are beast then you could prolly knock most out in 2 days working long ass days.

No idea though, it all depends on what problems you hit I think.

I'll stick to praying they can squeeze in the motor re-installation in a few days when the motor gets back.../praying.
Old 06-07-2011   #1555
Murlo26

I already found a buyer for my AMS downpipe as I have been wanting to switch out to an o2 dump one....want the most out of the setup etc etc and my car is already stupid loud anyway.

Regardless, I was talking to Chris Carey a bit today in emails and found this..

http://www.maperformance.com/product...oductid=101234

The thought is to run this with an external gate in conjunction with my internal gate. MAP did this on their 722whp stock frame evo 8 shop car and it worked great. It allows you to easily implement a nice external gate without sacrificing twin scroll. Just going to an external gate without keeping the internal one gets rid of twinscroll. The only other way to keep it is to use two external gates on your manifold which is like a 2k manifold setup...no thanks.

So I was planning to get MAP's downpipe anyway so I figured for a few hundred bucks I won't have to worry about my wastegate opening up as I believe it was before.

Everyone's thoughts? I know more boost != more power but for the sake of discussion ignore that and assume it will

I see no downsides other than possibly spending 200-300 extra dollars on something that may not work...otherwise it won't hurt anything else I don't think. It's the best of both worlds as Chris said and I believe its the same setup AWD motorsports uses to hold boost so well on their stock frame cars.
Old 06-07-2011   #1556
scheides
flips McGee

Nice! that would be pretty slick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #1557
Murlo26

I think so, I think its worth a try for sure. If I could get the black to hold boost like it does on the evo 8/9's that could be worth quite a bit of power. I mean it is the same wheels and everything just a shittier housing I think so who knows.
Old 06-08-2011   #1558
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

We run them that same way on some originally internally gated turbo cars. There is a possible downside and it is turbo failure. If your turbo fails and the manufacturer figures out you were doing that, then they might not warranty it. The internal gate is somewhat is a safety feature to help save your turbo, when the exhaust back pressures get way too high, it blows the internal gate open and slows the turbo back down some(boost drops). A lot of people try to push these bolt-on turbos farther than they were designed to make for boost and power for more than a few 1/4 mile passes and that's when you can see failures.
Old 06-08-2011   #1559
Murlo26

I am a 1/4 mile kinda guy, not endurance so hopefully I'd be ok.

Lets pretend the turbo in question was ball bearing, would the risk be reduced greatly?

I don't plan to push the car quite as hard as before, at least not right away until I make sure everything is perfectly working but the X turbos seem to really dump boost up top compared to their 8/9 counterparts.

edit: what kind of spring pressure would I need on the external gate? I am looking at the compgate ones that MAP designed their downpipe for and they go up to 26psi...I am guessing at least 20psi but maybe external gates don't need that high of a spring?
Old 06-08-2011   #1560
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I am a 1/4 mile kinda guy, not endurance so hopefully I'd be ok.
I'll remember you saying that next time something blows up and you're bummed about it. Did you buy your car to go down the track a few times or to have some fun on the road?
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.