MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2011   #1561
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
I'll remember you saying that next time something blows up and you're bummed about it. Did you buy your car to go down the track a few times or to have some fun on the road?
Both naturally...but I typically don't go corner carving at all, I don't trust myself turning with the power I have and I am a pussy when it comes to getting sideways etc.

Freeway pulls and TnC happen plenty though but its nothing like a roadcourse would do.

I will say this, a broken turbo is a welcome change from a broken motor...that is a Saturday afternoon and some beer to fix minus the turbo cost.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1562
scheides
flips McGee

idk man, you made ~550whp @ MAP with the tubular on your old setup @30psi, maybe you'll make a little more with some tuning and such. Going beyond that is starting to push the setup....I am with shane on blowing the turbo, but at the same time if it makes the engine more efficient @ 30psi, then game on. Ultimately up to you.

I will say that my BBX fukin RIPS at 33psi but I really really don't want to push it so ~30 is all it'll see I think, I want to keep it together and healthy for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1563
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
edit: what kind of spring pressure would I need on the external gate? I am looking at the compgate ones that MAP designed their downpipe for and they go up to 26psi...I am guessing at least 20psi but maybe external gates don't need that high of a spring?
I'd say 50% of your boost at a minimum, so 15lb spring for 30psi max boost. I'd probably go with a 20-25lb spring though, doesn't hurt.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1564
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
idk man, you made ~550whp @ MAP with the tubular on your old setup @30psi, maybe you'll make a little more with some tuning and such. Going beyond that is starting to push the setup....I am with shane on blowing the turbo, but at the same time if it makes the engine more efficient @ 30psi, then game on. Ultimately up to you.

I will say that my BBX fukin RIPS at 33psi but I really really don't want to push it so ~30 is all it'll see I think, I want to keep it together and healthy for a long time.
Well this time I will make a TON more at say 30psi as I now have 2.2L and 10:1 compression coming. I was honestly planning to run around 25-26psi and see where that gets me. I just wanted the external gate on the downpipe for if, probably when, I want to go crazy on E98 and max the setup out.

I am now a member of the I want a car that works for a long time and I can more or less beat up because I am not on the ragged edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
I'd say 50% of your boost at a minimum, so 15lb spring for 30psi max boost. I'd probably go with a 20-25lb spring though, doesn't hurt.
Hmm, well my internal gates wastegate pressure is 21-22psi so i am guessing I want at least that. I'll have to consult with Shane.
Old 06-08-2011   #1565
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
I am now a member of the I want a car that works for a long time and I can more or less beat up because I am not on the ragged edge.
Wat? You just mentioned maxing your turbo out with that new set up and not caring if it blows up, yet you wanna be in the "have fun and don't break" club?

Do what ever makes ya happy, I would just like to see your car on the road more and worry about the extra 20whp later.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1566
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
This makes me think you should stay with just an internal WG and use one of FP's high pressure WGA's.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1567
Murlo26

Yes I would to, I was talking about when I get bored with the car down the road and do an E98 tune. It won't be this year I'll tell you that much. Doubtful even next year or ever maybe if I switch to a t3.

Obviously I am mis-communicating my intentions for the car at this point in time lol. I am going to run moderate boost on the car this time and try to just enjoy it. I am getting the MAP downpipe for sure and instead of buying it again later I figured why not get the external gate one now that will help keep boost nice and flat even though its lower.

EDIT:

Ok maybe I am changing too much yet again, lol. I am always trying to make the perfect setup and get carried away.

I think I'll just keep the AMS downpipe for now and not switch it out even. The extra displacement and compression should be plenty to increase the fun.

Last edited by Murlo26; 06-08-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-08-2011   #1568
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:
I think I'll just keep the AMS downpipe for now and not switch it out even. The extra displacement and compression should be plenty to increase the fun.
Glad you are keeping it kinda the same for while, every open dump car I have been in, gets loudly annoying after about 2-3 minutes of driving. So when are you saving your pennies to by that v8?
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1569
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

You X guys change your mind about what setup to run more than Swifty used to!
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1570
Murlo26

I am in an endless loop of doom as every time I want to sell the evo its broken and its almost impossible to get what its worth broken even minus the cost to fix so i have to fix it. Then its fixed and awesome again so I like it again...endless.

The car will have to stay working long enough for me to get tired of it and catch up on cash flow haha.

Quote:
Indeed. I get bored with no car to drive so I spend my time thinking about how to make it better and add to it etc.

Then I am bored at work and I post about my ideas, sometimes silly and get feedback on it. Then usually you guys do a good job of talking sense into me. It works out
Old 06-08-2011   #1571
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Umm, yeah. Seems to me that just getting a bigger turbo makes more sense than fiddling with all this crap.

Quote:
There are only a couple locals on their 3rd turbo. I'm done the moment my shit works.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 06-08-2011 at 04:14 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #1572
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
Umm, yeah. Seems to me that just getting a bigger turbo makes more sense than fiddling with all this crap.
Cake and eat it too! That's what I want.

Like I said I think I am plenty happy at my power level. 550-600whp is a great place to be and I wasn't getting tired of it at all.

I just have to accept the power I make on the next rebuild and not push it. That will be my goal
Old 06-13-2011   #1573
Murlo26

Well here are a few pics of my FPblack now that it is out.

I am thinking it is just fine but wanted to see what you guys think.

I need some anti-seize to get a few bolts out so I can get the inlet off to check the compressor wheel but everything looks fine. I didn't see oil anywhere in there and the exhaust wheel felt nice and tight and spins freely.

The last few pics are the FP oil feed line and then the filter. There was a little debris on the inlet but not a ton. It looks like it stopped a bit.

Old 06-13-2011   #1574
scheides
flips McGee

Looks good, rip it!

Or are you fixated on a bigger snail since Hollywood got that AMS kit? It sure looks purdy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #1575
Murlo26

Quote:
Looks good, rip it!

Or are you fixated on a bigger snail since Hollywood got that AMS kit? It sure looks purdy!
Bigger snail, no! If anything I will rock another black or go back to a stock turbo to help with my funding. I am bleeding money on this car and need to stop. I am very tempted to run a stock turbo, very tempted. I'd give me another 1500 to pay for all the new oiling components and the new gasket set I need.

I thought it looked pretty good too.
Old 06-16-2011   #1576
Murlo26

Forgot to update this with how the car sits

On a side note, I sent my DW injectors to RC engineering today. I want an outside source to check them over before I send them to DW. It's an extra $50 bucks or something, but it will be worth it if they find something wrong with an injector, then I can throw it back in DW's face.

I would prefer the injectors test perfect though, then I don't have to deal with anything.
Old 06-16-2011   #1577
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

You know Ravenworks in Maple Grove tests/cleans injectors too right? Might save you on shipping next time around

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #1578
Murlo26

Well I know now, lol.

Not the end of the world, but next I will for sure check local.
Old 06-17-2011   #1579
Murlo26

Well I exchanged a few emails with Chris at MAP today.

Looks like I will be trying out one of their turbos on this 2.2 build

I am even more excited now, yay!
Old 06-17-2011   #1580
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Very nice! Which one?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.