MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 10-25-2005   #1
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm
Driver side rear brake caliper screwed?

1993 Talon TSI awd. Stock brake rotors, calipers, lines...stock everything for that part of the car.

I just changed my rear brake pads about a month ago and now the driver's side rear inside pad is out...again. Is my piston in my caliper busted or is there another problem? The outside pad is still almost brand new and the passenger side is the same. I've heard about some sort of rebuild kit, but would be be better to just buy a whole new caliper? I really dont like changing the rear pads once a month, and the money spend eventually will cost the same as buying a whole new caliper to begin with. And I dont think that the inside pad is ever off the rotor. I'm getting TONS of brake dust on that one wheel and plus, its got like a day left before its nothing but metal to metal contact on the rotor. I'm gonna put my car away for a bit until I get some stuff replaced so any help will do....
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Re: Driver side rear brake caliper screwed?

The piston is frozen in place or does not return back into the cylinder. Ive had it happen 2 times to the same side in the rear. This can also happen because of the ebrake cable being stuck and pulling a little from not moving easily.

You can either replace the caliper with a rebuilt unit or rebuild it yourself.

You should notice a scraping sound while driving and the wheel will be super hot after driving around... Those are signs I ussually see/smell first.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #3
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm

Yeah, its always squeaking in the rear. But I've never really tried to see how much hotter it is compared to the others. Where could I get a replacement part? Would the dealerships carry it?
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #4
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Just go to napa and get a rebuilt caliper, or a rebuild kit. The dealer also has that but it will cost much more. I think there was a cheap brake place in Minneapolis called brake Warehouse or something to that effect. Call them up.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote