MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-17-2006   #21
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer
Re: Questions on whitch rods and pistons to use.

JET, on the issue of cylinder scuffing and higher silicon. Mahle piston's spec sheet says that .002-.003 is the recommended clearance. I believe the Wiseco's have a .0025-.003 recommended clearance. In all actuality, Mahle could possibly be a better choice.

1. They are hard anodized. This makes them superior in many ways over a non anodized piston. FYI they ring lands on the C6 Zo6 are hard anodized, and they have handled over 850whp so far. The Zo6 pistons are cast.

2. They also coat the "side skirts" with teflon. The Mahle pistons have more of a 3/4 skirt around them, where as wiseco's only have a half skirt. This may or may not make up for the lack of length on the skirt.

3. They come with a full wrist pin stock. While this add's weight, it also makes the assembly stronger. I believe this is like a $40 dollar upgrade for Wiseco's.

Now don't get me wrong, Wiseco makes awesome pistons, but there are some things about them not to like. Just because one piston is tried and true doesn't mean there isn't a better piston out there for a comparable price.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #22
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

You need to read more of what we are saying. The Mahle piston "may" be marginally better than the Wiseco, but it may also be much worse. Is it worth the risk to find out? If you are going for 800whp, then it may be worth it. For a mild street car, it is definately not worth it.

Wiseco pistons are also coated and come with floating wrist pins stock.

You also need to look at the Mahle pistons more if you think they have a 3/4 skirt and the Wiseco has a 1/2 skirt. That is ridiculous. The skirt on the Mahle is much smaller than the Wiseco.

Dumb Ricer, since you are not as well known, what is your background? Have you built engines or are you just doing research on the net?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #23
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Yes, I have built engines, and I have done extensive research on piston design and theory.

I was not referring to the length of the skirt. Yes, the Mahle skirt length is damn near non existant. But, the Mahle piston skirt wraps all the way around to almost the wrist pin. Whether this helps or not is up in the air.

With tighter tolerances, in theory a longer skirt is not needed. I do agree with you that on a daily driven street car a longer skirt is PROBABLY going to help decrease piston scuffing and help engine life slightly. I am not going to say that 100% yes it does help, because this has yet to be proven. My buddy has a set sitting in his garage right now, and his motor will be built in about a month, so we will see how the Mahles do.

Where most of you "older" guys who have been into DSM's for a long time have formed hard opinions on what works and what doesn't, I am new to the game, and it's not just DSM's I am in to. I haven't had time to form the hardened opinions that seems to come out as fact from you guys. Yes, Wiseco makes a great piston, Yes, I recommended Wiseco to the original poster because I do not know how well the Mahle's will work. No, I am not going to say that Wiseco makes a better piston than Mahle because there is no proof of this. Theory says that the Mahle may be better. Wiseco is proven, I know that, but we can't come out and say Mahle isn't worth looking at.
Old 04-18-2006   #24
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

For the second time noone has said the Mahle's may not be better than the Wiseco's. The Mahle's are relatively unknown for a DSM though. So where is the supposed benefits of the Mahle? It is anodized, big deal there isnt a problem with the Wiseco's piston tops and they hold up to high HP.

Mahle seems to be moving towards some of the motorcycle pistons technology. That is really the leading edge, but even they say that the lack of piston skirt does shorten the life of the piston. For an engine that rev's over 13k the piston weigt really starts to become huge. The piston speeds the bikes are running were unheard of just 5 years ago. They are near F1 car territory (the Yamaha R6 runs to a true 16k RPM).

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #25
snea

Ok, question, would it be better to use 2g aftermarket rods and pistons to get a slightly larger pin size?
snea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #26
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

No.
Old 04-23-2006   #27
snea

ok
snea is offline   Reply With Quote